Wednesday, 24 September 2014

BIRDS OF WAR....

 Well I had a different sort of day. Pulled a sickie but not long after speaking to my boss I felt a bit better, how weird! Then starting tomorrow I have two weeks off..yippee. I took my portable hide and set it up at Doug's Pit. Now I had just "popped" the hide up, pulled my camera out the bag and checked exposure on a spot in where I knew Snipe were lurking. When bold as brass this Sparrowhawk glided inches from me at waist height and landed on this twig, not sure how the twig didn't snap. Below is the full frame.
 Below is a cropped version, SIX FOOT AWAY!!! Two frames is all I got, the other is it fleeing. This was as good as it got, I had small disturbance overhead....
First a Spitfire.

Then real brute the Vulcan bomber.


You would be forgiven to think it was noisy, but it's surprisingly quiet.
It was overhead for ages flying over me at the quarry, Pitsford, parts of Kingsthorpe and of course Sywell airport where it pulled this trick, quote nimble for such a big old girl
Not really seen one fly before and definately didn't mind this distraction.
 Smokey old thing though reminded me of my dodgy old van.




16 comments:

  1. Wow. That is what I call a day out.
    Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit different really enjoyed the Vulcan passing over as many times as it did.

      Delete
  2. That's what I call a good day out. Champs of the air all round.
    Cracking pictures Doug.

    Just hope your boss don't read your blog though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, my boss says he does, but I have my doubts. He's ok he knows I graft hard and don't whinge about drops etc

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! How wonderful to be so close to the Sprawk! If only it had turned round!

    I love to see those old flying machines, Doug - nicely recorded by you. Very occasionally we get flypasts like this when we're on duty at Rutland Water and it's a splendid sight - quite brings a lump to my throat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it did turn around and flew away sharpish lol
      One thing I loved but my images aren't great was the head on shots and the exhaust fumes spiralling behind it, brilliant sight.

      Delete
  4. Hope you've recovered from your very sudden 24 hour bout of illness Douglas??

    I reckon that Sparrowhawk was just giving the once over to the new intruder onto it's patch?

    Great shots of the war birds, were they practicing for an air show? I can remember when the Vulcans were flying 'for real' (not the Spitfire though, I'm not that old!!) there was great excitement amongst us kids when one flew overhead.
    The one you photographed has got a name btw...The Spirit of Great Britain. It's lovely to see them still flying.
    Enjoy your two weeks off, are you going away anywhere?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how one can recover so quickly lol
      I don't think the sparrowhawk so me when it looked round it fled.
      Never knew the Vulcan name but thanks to Twitter you get almost live tweets from the crew, cool.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to add, I am going to Costa del Northampton, I got living room and spare room to decorate, just took my old Van to the scrap yard and selling my mark2 golf gti so I just have the one gti :-(

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. They all have wings, they are all hunters and they all scare their prey .... quite a synergy really, as always great images Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, you can imagine how much I was wanting a helicopter and Kestrel, got the helicopter but not the Kestrel sadly

      Delete
  6. My father was a flight engineer on Vulcans or was it the other one. They used to operate from Finningley, now Robin Hood airport.
    They used to have unofficial competitions as they could land themselves from miles from the threshold. It was set them up and hands and feet off. Good to see one still flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds well dodgy given their payload lol. Isn't Robin Hood where this Vulcan is currently based

      Delete
  7. I love the Sparrowhawk, better than I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, but yours is much better. Yours is staring at you, eating and much better detail.

      Delete