Wednesday, 24 September 2014

YELLOW WAGTAILS

 In the last few posts about the quarry I have mentioned about some Yellow Wagtails. Sadly they kept passing over the quarry from a field on one side right overhead and dropping back and forth. I was always a little to far away for flight shots or the one's I did get they all looked like surface to air missiles.
Well last night's visit to quarry I opted to do two things 1) named one of the pits, well no-one else birds down there so I thought I might as well name it (I was bored) 2) due to the sky being a milky shade of grey just sat in one spot and see what dropped, the previous night I had 6 Snipe, last night just 3 Snipe load if Goldfinch, some Song Thrush, a large flock of Linnet and 2 Meadow Pipits, a couple of Yellowhammer, a male and female Reed Bunting the best was when two Yellow Wagtails.


 As always the wild overgrown nature of this particular pit provides a composition nightmare. I saw one of the Yellow Wagtails was higher up on a branch and carefully moved around, for a change the bird stayed still.


Notice on two if the images how it is looking skywards, there was of course a reason a regular bird at the moment.....

The sky was terrible which was a shame as the other regular showed nicely too.


Even though the sky was awful it was good practice and also good to see the Kestrel getting used to me and hovering a bit closer.
As for the name of the pit, well it's small, bit rough, bit messy, sometimes interesting, so I am calling it Doug's Pit :-)

11 comments:

  1. Great shots but the last one is perfect.
    An excellent name for a pit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the last one too, just wished I had blue sky, thank you

      Delete
  2. Great commentary Doug and fine images of the Yellow Wagtails, excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, funny thing is as I was taking them I was thinking of your Yellow Wagtail in a tree makes a change from them being on the ground

      Delete
  3. Cracking shots of the Yellow wags Douglas.
    Well done on giving the pit a name, (it's amazing how creative our minds can be when we're bored...lol!)
    I'm sure that Doug's Pit will produce more great images in the future?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trevor, all that thinking make me ill so had to pull a sickie today, lol.

      Delete
  4. Not sure what I like best here, Doug, as they're all ones that I'd have been over the moon with if they were mine. Not seen many Yellow Wags this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I was thinking the same thing about yellow wags myself and how I missed out, I was determined to get some from this site, I think they're lovely looking bird

      Delete
    2. I meant to say - I think that's a very appropriate name. I just hope that they don't wreck it for you so that Doug's Pit makes Doug spit.

      Delete
    3. Could be worse, there's a swampy bit I am calling Doug's Bog

      Delete
    4. I'll try and avoid that bit if I'm ever over that way!!!

      Delete