Friday, 3 October 2014

HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE

Well so far with my time of work I have been calling in on a few spots. I wanted to catch up with a Little Owl site first and spent a whole day snug as a bug in a pop up hide...and got diddly squat! Honestly I was walking up to the barn at 5am (still dark) and left at 19:45 (still dark lol) and had 1 out of focus wren flight shot. No sign of the Little Owl. I already knew one of the two had left. The final bird, I  guess because it's getting more bold etc was spending less time in the Barn and more time in some tree's on private land. As I left I broke one of my own rules and had a look inside no sign and as I left the field I could hear a Little Owl calling from the private site...git. Maybe it'll return as the weather gets worse?
I had a stroll along the river Nene. I got some dodgy Buzzard shots up against a grey'ish sky and just these two Grey Wagtails images at the Billing Mill pub. Taken on the weir.

The first isn't too sharp but liked the low point if view and "almost"  reflection. The second one a bit better but ruined by the bloody post, I think the greywag looks unimpressed too.
I have of course been to Doug's Pit at Moulton Quarry, things are changing up there. I have had up to 6 Snipe and regularly 4 Snipe just rubbish out of focus flight shots portraits are a non starter thanks to the unkept nature of the site. There are some Chiff-Chaff's still on site. But a build up of sorts of Song Thrush and Blackbirds. I saw a Linnet in the flock without a tail!!! Some Yellowhammer and still some Yellow Wagtails  but an increase in Reed Bunting. This next lot are all from the quarry.
FEMALE REED BUNTING

MALE REED BUNTING

YE OLDE SPARROWHAWK 
 The fields adjacent to the quarry were being ploughed so got some low flying Buzzards.
And finally from the garden I had three Goldcrest's disputing at who's garden it is, they forget it's mine.


 I think it's the same bird even in my small garden it was impossible to keep track of them, one would settle then one would drop down and chase it off. Good fun. But the constant calling was freaking my dogs out. Their high frequency calling isn't too good on dog's hearing
 If the garden wasn't so shaded by trees flight shots could be achieve I will make do with portraits..for now.
I was happy when one settled on where one of my feeders hang, perhaps a subtle hint!
 This next one is my favourite

13 comments:

  1. They are all very impressive but the female bunting is perfect. The background compliments here perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adrian the biggest problem at the quarry is getting a clear shot of everything, luckily the reed bunting are showing nicely

      Delete
  2. That's one way of getting out of the decorating then...disappear to the potting sh...hide for the day?

    A cracking set of images, as per normal, the one of the female Reed Bunting is a stunner.

    How lucky are you to have Goldcrests in the garden? Sure beats my Woodpigeons and Squirrels!!

    I see that the F1 musical chairs have started...what's going to be the dream team for next year?

    Have you fixed all those punctures yet?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got sick of the smell of paint though my hound was very annoying lol.
      The way are gardens are set up with a mixture of Yew, leylandi and then the pine trees from the park the Goldcrest are very regular though early this year.
      I was amazed at Seb going to Ferrari looks like the end for Jenson mind you, wonder who takes the spare Red Bull seat, Lewis/Nico?

      Delete
  3. Hi Douglas, you have my sympathy ..... when I last moved I painted non-stop for twelve days, I felt as if my arm had a paint roller welded to it !

    Love the Goldcrest images, only ever seen one in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Goldcrest images Douglas, I've only ever seen one in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily John I only had the roller welded to my arm for two days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding it a difficult time for Little Owls too, Doug. Whereas a two or three months ago it was not unusual for me to see 10 or more in an afternoon/evening, over the last month it's dropped to a level that I rarely see 4 and consider myself lucky to see one! In my experience, this is quite usual for September/October/November. Then (hopefully) things start to pick up again in December.

    It's good to see that Doug's Pit has turned up trumps again - some lovely images there!

    Really jealous about your garden Goldcrests - if we're lucky we get one or two sightings in a year! Super shots, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, it has been quite interesting to watch the juvenile owl getting bolder and finding a tree rather then the Barn touch wood the next inhabitant will be a barn owl.
      With the Goldcrest we get lucky on Eastfield the park is there main home but this year the Goldcrest and Treecreepers have done really well so have the cresties turning up in the gardens.

      Delete
  7. I'm not even bothering with the owls at the moment, there's always a lull at this time of the year, bring on a few frosts and they will be showing again. Another super selection of images Doug, I think I'm liking the two Reed Bunting shots the best, nice to let an image "breathe" and show a bit of the environment. The Sprawk shot is superb too, you must be a magnet to this species!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Paul, the pit where I sit and wait is a roost of sorts for all the small birds and Snipe the Sparrowhawk is just drawn to it I see it so often crashing through the willow, it's brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a collection,especially the Goldcrest, she/he is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, I do get spoilt with Goldcrest's in the garden.

      Delete