Wednesday, 19 November 2014

SACRIFICING A GOAT

Well no work for two weeks, yippee. Yet I was soon deflated as I drew back the curtains this morning..grey,damp and misty....bollocks. So tonight I've kidnapped a goat, built an altar in the shed and have sharpened the meat clever the goat will GET IT tomorrow if we don't get some sun, you have been warned!! Talking about sheds I did get some time in it and the garden. First up is the Goldcrest, on our local park, Eastfield Park, I see a lot of these whilst walking the greyhounds. There is also one always in the garden.
GOLDCREST,BACKGARDEN 15th NOVEMBER
I can get quite close to these and am thinking of slopping the 300mm f2.8 to get some flight shots, though this was taken from the shed using the 500mm in between sips of tea and bacon sarnies..yum
GOLDCREST, BACKGARDEN, 19th NOVEMBER 
The other nice surprise is the Chaffinch, OK very common. However last time we had any in the garden was a couple of winters ago and we had heavy snow which in turn brought in loads to the garden, currently upto 7 at any one time, weirdly all but one is a female. 
FEMALE CHAFFINCH

FEMALE CHAFFINCH, "NOT COMMON OUT UNTIL YOU STOP PHOTOGRAPHING ME" 
GOLDFINCH

BLUE TIT
Won't bore you anymore with common stuff from the garden for now. Hopefully my next post won't be about a messy end for a goat...maybe :-) oh and check out John Finlayson's blog out he's been getting some excellent starling murmaration at his local reserve Titchmarsh, his blog can be found on the list down the side of this blog or here JOHN'S BLOG

9 comments:

  1. Lovely birds Goldcrests Douglas ....... I haven't had much luck contacting with them this year, and a cock Chaffinch is a beauty !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, I do get lucky with Goldcrest

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the Goldcrest. I hope the weather improves for you break. It has been grim for weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the weather forecast is looking Grim here too bleeding winter

      Delete
  3. Doug I have heard the term "a lamb to the slaughter" but never a Goat? Even so the images are going to be interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's living im Northants for you always doing things the wrong way lol.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could do as well as you have with those Goldcrest images, Doug! Goldcrest has been rare in our garden (two or three sightings a year) until the past few weeks, but now we're getting visits three or four times a week - twice a pair of them. The trouble is they are outside my window where the light is awful and there are still loads of leaves on the cotoneaster (as youngster I thought that it was pronounced 'cotton easter') that they frequent - I haven't managed a half-decent image yet! Well done!!

    We usually do quite well with Chaffinches in the garden, and the numbers are starting to pick up again now that the colder weather is with us. I just hope that they do their usual trick of bringing in the Bramblings later in the year.

    If you are getting anything like the weather we are so far today, the goat stands a chance of survival for another day. I don't fancy its chances over the weekend, however!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I think the warmer start to the winter has benefited the Goldcrest so many around here at the moment. I hope I get some Brambling's, fingers crossed etc.
      I'm buying a goat recipe cook book just in case :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Douglas, really beautiful Goldcrest, love it.

    ReplyDelete