Saturday, 6 December 2014

CHIFF-CHAFF, MOULTON QUARRY 6/12/14

It was gloriously sunny today so as regular as clockwork spent some time up at the quarry.
Finally getting some Fieldfare's and the odd Redwing in the hedgerow. Photographic opportunities of my favourite site regulars, the Kestrel and Sparrowhawk have been tempered by some rather domineering Rooks. When either two turn up within the confides of the quarry one or two Rooks give chase. When a Buzzard strolls through a flock of 5-6 Rooks give it hell.
Plenty of common birds are filling the hedges too. But also Yellowhammer, Meadow Pipits and a solitary Grey Wagtail.
Got this male Bullfinch with a Dunnock trying to get a bit of attention in the background, think it's called photobombing, need not worry it was distant.
As always I was hoping to get images of Snipe, I figured with the falling temperatures the shallow'ish water of Doug's Pit would freeze forcing the Snipe out a bit, it was frozen but not enough. An attempted snatch and grab on the Reed Buntings by the Sparrowhawk flushed out 5 Snipe, which was nice, I've had 6 before but of late had only been able to see 2 in the dense overgrown pit.
One of the things I had hoped for since I've been visiting the site is that the sheer number of Chiff-Chaff on the site earlier in the year might mean one or two over wintering birds, I managed a distant shot of one that today, along with the warm sun this had me thinking of spring....or should that be wishing?

15 comments:

  1. You made full use of the light. It is wonderful at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is I kind of got caught out by it, the exposures not quite right. Rumour has it we might get some wintry showers down here by Monday

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always Doug your narrative is a joy to read ...... as for showers, the Met Office got their timings a bit wrong early morning for my visit to Twywell Hills and Dales, I got soaked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I think I got caught in the same downpour lol. Makes it better when the sun eventually comes out

      Delete
  4. Two excellent images Douglas. I'm sure those Snipe will play ball before too long?
    Everyone's saying that snow is on the way so I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer for the spring to arrive...lol!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor the Snipe are getting the better of me at the moment hopefully the water will freeze a bit more and give me a better chance...or not lol

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Two super images here, Doug. I'm always looking forward to your next post from this place - it's so full of potential, and you're getting some great results.

    I'm hoping for some really cold weather (to freeze the mud), with no wind, a light covering of snow (for the light) and plenty of sunshine (ditto) - surely not too much to ask for?? Fat chance!!!

    Have a great week - - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard the site does keep throwing a few surprises.
      I must admit the frosty mornings have made the muddy footpaths a bit more negotiable I'm not looking forward to snow, bit tricky for the bike

      Delete
  6. Love a bullfinch! Such colourful beautiful birds - lovely photo Doug! I've heard a few chiff chaffs too which makes me reminisce about summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lou, the Bullfinch did look very vibrant in the sun. There's quite a few on this site foraging as for the Chiff, I heard it long before I saw it and it took a few moments to register what it was :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chiff Chaff image is a stunner Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, it was nice to see but constantly on the move.

      Delete
  9. Douglas I often wondered why I did not get your blogs now and I still do not know so when I saw you on this blog I looked it up on google+ Are you just on google+ now? Is that the reason? I always loved your post. Anyway, this is a wonderful shot if the Bullfinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really not sure Margaret I think it might be because I'm not on Google+ at the moment. Me and a few others in the circles kept getting both spam and viruses earlier in the year so I removed my posts from Google+. Now the particular person has left I will start posting again on Google+ and see if that makes a difference.

      Delete