Thursday, 15 January 2015

ONE ARM, ONE SHED AND ONE Camera....

...... and a pain the arse would best describe my week since being savaged by a Jaguar.
Firstly the driver, he's being charged with driving without due care and attention but according to "victim support" who I really didn't think I needed a visit from the police are putting a suspension of sorts on the drivers license until he gets his eyes tested and suitable note from his doctor to say he's fit to drive.
His insurance company has been predictably stubborn, ignorant twats. First they told me, with a broken arm I'd have to take my bike to a cycle repair shop to get costed for repairs after a flurry of four letter words I composed myself and said no. I told the twerp in a polite manner his company are lucky I'm not putting in for a personal injury claim, can't do loss of earnings my firm is good and I'm on full in pay.
I also asked how I'd get a bike with bent forks, buckled wheel, cracked A-frame, damaged crank with a broken arm to a bike shop, after 5 minutes of being on hold the idiot told me to send in a receipt of original purchase and I'll get a full refund it was agreed new helmet and lights too...what a hassle for a small amount.
Some suggested (including victim support) I should sue. Nope, I've done it before when I was hit head on by some idiot whilst I was driving a van, I got a huge six figure (sadly hundreds of thousands not millions) payout and placed on a database of personal injury claimants, bet you didn't know insurance companies did that, this in turn made it/makes it hard to get cheap insurance. It actually as a driver made it hard for me to find employment after I got better as it was flagged up by the insurance company of potential employees and in turn increased their insurance bill.



My boss came round with my personal bits n bobs from the cab of my lorry, no it wasn't to check up on me, he's a good boss and had arranged through our companies health care programme some private physio, the first appointment at our local hospital went OK with a nice looking Portuguese woman. I have one today but seeing as a lady is being currently tested for Ebola at our hospital  it should be interesting....look out for a moon walking Douglas if there's a lot of media hanging around:-)
To be honest I'm going stir crazy, I prematurely blitzed my record collection in the first few days.  The TV is driving me bonkers to the point during the days I'm spending time either walking my greyhounds one at a time over the local park, watching a solitary female Goosander. Or sat in the shed.

Took an extended walk around Bradlaugh fields which was good for common birds but nothing of note. I thought given the habitat of part of the area and the number of Stonechats in the county I might chance upon an urban 'chat. Sadly not.  Found an urban' ish Little Owl on Moulton Park industrial estate. It was quite an unusual place to find one, it was in some trees next to a leisure centre, college campus and right behind a big warehouse not too far from the science park in some pine/spruce it was being mobbed by a Jay.
Obviously the rest of my time I spent in the shed watching the birds at first but couldn't resist trying for some images. I have very little movement in my arm and trying to lift even the light 300mm,f2.8 is impossible without agony.
 I've opted to place the camera on a bean bag resting on a window sill, obviously not being able to lift the camera I have to point the camera in one spot and hope a bird comes along, then re-postion it at another spot and wait again. All images are then taken one handed. GRIM!!!
My next post will be about interesting things to do whilst suffering from Cabin fever, apart from Moon walking.

15 comments:

  1. oh dear You are a sorry soul. Thanks for the up date on the driver and what has happened to him Great you are getting a new bike etc and physio for your arm. Sorry it is so sore but it could have been so much worse. You still can bird watch, go out with the dogs, take photographs, type and put on a post. See how creative you can be with this time you have in your shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Margaret to be fair I think I miss both work and cycling the most I'd be quite happy just to sit and watch the birds come and go.

      Delete
  2. It makes my moans seem trivial.
    It's good the company are looking after you. You need to find a one armed hobby. I can only think of one and that might affect your eyesight.
    Keep us informed and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even that hobby gets boring after a while Adrian lol. I tried for two years to get into the firm I work for, low staff turnover, management that teat you with respect etc all help. Very rare in my trade

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Excellent bird images, and I'm sorry about the accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob one of my friends list his arm and calls me lucky, he's right I'll mend in the end I'm just not an indoor person

      Delete
  4. Nice set Douglas considering the challenges that you have to contend with !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, sadly my missus thinks I'm obsessed, she's right, she's always right:-)

      Delete
  5. Glad to see that you're still keeping a good sense of humor Douglas!!!
    Unfortunately they're a necessary evil (??), you can never win when it comes to insurance companies they've got it all sorted so that they always, one way or another, end up the 'winners'.
    And you're still getting plenty of exercise and a bit of birdwatching in, so things can't be too bad!!
    Nice result from the one handed session in the potting shed btw. ...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor you're right things could be a lot worse it's what you make of the situation I guess plus I get fondled, oops I mean massaged by a pretty lady too...

      Delete
  6. If its any consolation at all Doug your fighting spirit has to be admired, to keep going when you have suffered so much pain and discomfort is a real credit to you. Hey and your one armed images aint too bad either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I try my best to muddle on:-)

      Delete
  7. Great set of images, Doug - particularly considering the circumstances. Pleased to hear that you're managing to survive, even if with difficulty and pain. I hope that you get a good, and quick, settlement from the insurance company.

    Insurance companies can be extremely difficult to deal with, as I found out when I had an accident with my camera. I had a phone 'interview' lasting over an hour with an assessor of some sort, and then had to spend a couple of hours producing a very detailed written and illustrated account of the circumstances, and for a relatively small claim. However, I don't entirely blame the insurance companies. There are too many people out there putting in claims for things that never happened or for things that they've intentionally damaged so that they can replace worn-out old with new. It's these people that make the cost of insurance so high, and make it difficult to make a claim when something happens.

    Also relieved to hear that the Jag driver won't be on the road until/unless he's assessed as fit to drive.

    Take good care, and don't try to do too much too soon. - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Richard people just take the Mickey with insurance companies and false/exaggerated claims it wouldn't surprise me that your hour long interview was one of many that are done with a lie detector measuring stress, finding inconsistencies it's one if their most valuable tools. Thanks for your kind words

      Delete