Sunday, 1 February 2015

MORE FROM THE GARDEN

I apologise for the repetive nature of this blog of late, if you bored of seeing stuff from my garden just imagine how I feel. A couple of times during the week I thought about venturing out but each time the weather scuppered me. On one visit to the physio with camera bag and packing my 300mm and a 1.4 and 2x teleconverter I was going to take the short walk to a local park where some Ring Necked Parakeets have been seen, no sooner had I left the physiotherapists it pelted down with snow and ducked onto a bus.
The problem with venturing out on foot, still can't drive, you're very dependent on the weather snow and rain just don't do it for me.
The garden has pulled a few treats, 27th after the RSPB GARDENWATCH I got a Chiff-Chaff and when the snow fell two Reed Buntings came to the garden, a male and female both are still in the garden which is actually a new species in the garden.
A couple of flight shots thanks to the feeding style of Chaffinches

The male Reed Bunting, the female is a bit too shy sadly.

My actual arm is not going to well, before my first physio started they measured the angle of the bend in the arm it was minus 30 degrees at my last appointment it was only minus 20 degrees, given the number of appointments they'd been hoping for around minus 10 to minus 5 plus there is a click from the elbow and some pain, I have another appointment with the fracture clinic in two weeks and they'll decide if they need to shave the bone and put pins in....oh joy.

My new bike arrived on Friday which seems a bit redundant now but provided an hour of entertainment as I assembled it, well most of it, I have to "index" the gears but can't really do it until I can either find a stand to place the bike on or be able to get on it to sort the gears out, it has 21 gears compared to the old one which had 18. I stripped the old bike for spares which wasn't much, two inner tube, a set of pedals, rear derailleur, brake cables and brake handles never know when they may come in handy.

 I did manage to finish of a book too. A very good read indeed called The Historian by an American author called Elizabeth Kostova. In short it's a vampire story but not at all cheesy. It's a cross between a gothic novel, travelogue and detective story. Some of it is based in the UK and is so well written you actually recognise the locations and one part so tense it left the hairs on my arms standing on end, I was actually scared it was that well written, it looks like I'll be reading more books at this rate,  after I watch the Super Bowl tonight
 

12 comments:

  1. They are great pictures from you garden, but I hope your arm is well enough for you to get out and about again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Findlay, worse case scenario it could be another eight weeks, best case scenario 4 weeks not good really

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Douglas, these are grand. I enjoy looking at all the usual visitors and in this case a couple of unusual ones.
    It's odd that bikes have so many gears when at least a third are redundant as the chain angle becomes too acute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, thank you I've thought exactly the same thing about gears on a bike, it's the lowest gears that to me seem redundant you just never come across a hill steep enough though the higher gears become useful for downhills, some have 28 gears which seems an overkill to me

      Delete
  3. Great post Douglas, the flight shots of the Chaffinch are my favourites although they are all good, keep up the physio so that you can get out and about as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I prefer flight shots, luckily the Chaffinch and it's feeding style makes it quite easy for a man with one arm

      Delete
  4. I understand you must be a bit frustrated by now however you are fortunate to have a garden with lovely birds coming to feed in it and these are very good shots. Hope the arm gets getting soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret it is frustrating I'm just not an indoor person

      Delete
  5. A very nice set of images, Doug. I particularly like the Chaffinches in flight and the Reed Bunting.

    I understand your frustration. I too have been pretty much house-bound for the past couple of weeks, and having to resort to watching and photographing the garden birds. Happily for me, though, my confinement is not due to injury or other ill-health, but the need to get things done at home. It's had its bonuses, however - 23 species yesterday, including Brambling, Redpoll, Goldcrest, Grey Wagtail!

    I hope it's four weeks (or less!) and not eight before you're fully back in action.

    Best wishes - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard I'm hoping it's only 4 weeks or less rather then eight. I think Redpoll, Brambling, Grey Wagtail beats my list of garden birds, I might move my shed to your garden

      Delete
  6. I love them all, but I do love the Goldfinch, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete