Thursday, 26 February 2015

SMALL MIRACLES

Well my operation was cancelled on Tuesday and just to prove it isn't just the NHS that suffers from a lack of beds this was down to my private medical provider, idiots. They simply forgot to allocate me a bed at the hospital, not Northampton General but a private hospital. Funnily you don't hear much about that on the news. The operation was all set to go ahead. I was even sat there at the general (operate in NHS hospital then transfer to private, silly system) in the backless gown. Only to be told of the cock up but hey I don't mind exposing my butt for no good reason I do it all the time....I'm scheduled for the 3rd of March now.
On some positive news, for a change, I managed to walk (leg almost back  to full health) to the bottom of the garden to the shed without tripping, being knocked over, breaking a bone, straining a muscle or breaking a camera and nothing fell out of the sky to squish me too. And managed some images from the shed, not before removing any sharp implements, lawn mower and empty petrol can....just in case.
First up is my continuing love of capturing Chaffinches in flight.
 The Reed Buntings are keeping things interesting. I've got four in the garden now, two extra males turned up this week not to shabby for my small and very urban garden.

A Goldfinch.
 A Robin, someone with a bit too much time on their hands noted my fence panel needed replacing. I had to tell them I took the top strip off as it stops cats walking along the top, it works a treat....just not very pretty.
The Starlings are fun. Can't get the whole bird in the frame due to the feeder being so close to the shed. This particular image shows it calling, mimicking a Little Owl call. I hear it every day and each time I think I have a Little Owl in the garden, a really convincing imitation.
Same bird but doing a throat clicking sound. I loved watching this display, the colours and sound were wooing me never mind any other Starling

Not much variation but was just a opportunity to check out the loaned 1d mark2...just six dust bunnies so I'll be cleaning the sensor.

14 comments:

  1. Good luck on Tuesday.

    The Starling really is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, I agree the Starlings look fantastic especially at close quarters

      Delete
  2. well I am glad you made it to your shed without accidents!!! These re lovely images of the birds you get in your garden, The Starlings markings are stunning and they can mimic so well. Sorry to her about the cock up with your operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite glad in some ways the appointment fell foul of paper pushers I wasn't really looking forward to it. The Starlings are an amazingly talented bird when u comes to their vocal skills and the plumage is stunning

      Delete
  3. So!..you get to flash your backside one more time?
    It's not good news when you've made all the arrangements and built yourself up for something only to be let down at the last minute. Let's hope it all goes to plan next week.

    Another excellent set of images from the shed Douglas, especially the Starling(s). I could sit and listen to/watch their antics all day...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, I was dreading the operation or to be more precise after the operation as the 6-8 weeks recuperation wasn't going to be enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you back in action Doug, close up, Starlings are such fantastic looking birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starlings truly are, I find a new found fondness for them.

      Delete
  5. You could do a whole new blog called 'Birds from the Potting Shed'.
    A great series Doug. Reed Bunting garden visitors; can't be bad, but the Starling shots are excellent. Real characters too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you on the mend Doug, god forbid anything ever happens to your 'trigger' finger... its all been said but those Starlings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim & Keith. I have to admit that particular starling owes me for fooling me all the time that I have a Little Owl. I'm going to try and record it's Little Owl call

      Delete
  7. Just catching up again, Doug after a week of trials and tribulations!

    Delighted to hear that you made it down to the shed without an accident. Great results too!!!

    I love the way that you've captured thew wonderful colours in the Starlings.

    Hope all is still getting better - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, all is going well thank you even managed a few excursions.

      Delete
  8. STARLINGS........got to love em, great images mate.

    ReplyDelete