Sunday, 8 March 2015

BITS 'N' BOBS

I really don't have a great deal to show since my last post.
I've had my arm operated on. It's painful, mostly after a period of inactivity. Which in itself is a pain as I'm under strict instructions to limit the movement during the first week. Hmm, OK then!
I got out to the quarry a couple of times. I cheat, I jump on the number 7 bus all of 50 feet from the front door, get off at Moulton Park industrial estate and walk the 3 miles to the quarry. I do look a bit strange big camera bag on shoulders, dressed like a forest ranger (lol) but it guarantees me my own seat at least lol. Against a grey sky bit the Buzzards are displaying brilliantly with up to six birds visible at one time.
The quarry itself is a bit quiet at the moment. It's going through a transitional stage at the moment. The Fieldfare have moved out and seemingly replaced with a flock of 30+ Starlings though I am not convinced these will stay and aren't just passing through. 2 Snipe and 2 Teal are still holding put. But a nightmare to get near for images. Worryingly around the edges of the pool a lot of these annoying 'energy' drink cans are showing up strewn all over the place. Each time I pick them up and chuck them into the first bin I come across and they return, one of the sheds on the site that still had medical kit inside was broken into. I have a firm idea which lads it was and shall have words, though after speaking to the owner I think he'll being having words too.
Quite a few Skylarks have taken to the fields surrounding the quarry, 12 in total which is providing a great soundtrack. Also some Meadow Pipits keep passing over too and a very vocal Song Thrush is declaring it's territory. A Grey Wagtail takes advantage of the the puddles and the "lorry wash" which I cleaned out last summer of oil/diesel and other rubbish is like a make shift pond which this Grey Wagtail was using...
crap picture, again not much to hide against to get close and can't crawl at the moment. So a record image. I'm really waiting to see if the Sandmartins return, hopefully they will and soon too.
On unrelated birding news, my Mack was at Crufts on Saturday, I didn't go. The arm and the medication (tremadoyl..spelt wrong, strong painkillers) meant I wasn't up for it. My mum showed him (as usual) for me...he got a First in class which qualifies him for next year's Crufts so a happy note to end on.

13 comments:

  1. Well done you and well done Mack.
    The Buzzard is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, I'm well chuffed with Mack

      Delete
  2. Great to see you back posting Douglas .... at Titchmarsh there are about four regulars who pick up litteras we move around, as you say mostly cans and beer cartons ....I know you are a dog lover, I just can't understand dog owners who fill poop bags and leave them hanging on barbed wire fences, bizarre and illogical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lazy owners and ignoramus that leave the bags laying around. It's a massive pet hate that sees me often in conflict with lazy owners. I often walk my hounds in private paddocks etc or seek out Forest Commission owned land as they'd rather you flick the mess off the path rather then use bags. Which makes sense as the muck breaks down it provides food for insects etc, plastic bags don't degrade and traps birds

      Delete
  3. Well deserved rest for Mack; congratulations.
    The waggy is better than a record shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly he's always resting but deserves it this weekend.

      Delete
  4. HI Douglas Hope you get well very soon and are crawling around the undergrowth. great shot of the Buzzard and Congrats to Mack to winning at Crufts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret I'll be crawling around soon lol.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Mack did really well. Our fieldfare are still hanging round, i wonder if they can tell that the back field is going to be ploughed any day now. I hope your arm is getting lots better every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mack's a star bless him. Sadly I was hoping the Fieldfare would stay here too, not all the fields have been ploughed around here either. I still see the odd few on the way to the quarry.

      Delete
  6. You may have a dodgy arm at the mo Doug but nothing wrong with your legs, A THREE MILE WALK TO THE QUARRY carrying your 500mm, strewth mate you must be bionic!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me takes spinach lol. Though a good camera bag does help and I know at the moment your 500mm feels heavy but within a month or so you'll be hand holding "bertha"

      Delete