Sunday, 19 April 2015

BLACKCAP & CHIFF-CHAFF

Time was at a premium for me this weekend.....codswallop too lazy to be more honest. A shed load of motorsports to watch live, WTC, F1 and BTTC not to mention good old Chelsea stumbling to yet another 3 points. I also had to tidy up the shed too and tidy the garden in general. My winter hibernation in the shed has taken it's toll, cigarette butts forgotten about coffee mugs and the odd bit of bread etc plus the Sycamores needed pruning back a little. Got two nice visitors whilst skulking/sulking behind the shed showed briefly. First and briefest of visits, I'll get a few visits as the summer gets going.
Chiff-Chaff (Phylloscopus collybita): good hear this calling but what with garden fences and neighbours houses couldn't really spot it until the last moment. Got four frames before it vanished over towards the park.
Second visitor is not that common round the estate with the odd one on the park and non-existent in my garden.  This was a first actually...
 Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) singing as it went. I opted to leave the Sycamores and other pruning duties for another day.

8 comments:

  1. You have had a busy weekend.
    You still managed a Blackcap and also avoided trimming it's perch so two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Blackcap is gorgeous and its song is beautiful. I have just retured from Copeland Island and we caught adn ringed a Blackcpa. Great o see it so close. I also saw a Goldcrest in hnad and it was so small. I was thrilled just before leaving the island to see the first returnning Puffin. Thet have returned over the past 3 years but have not bred as yet so hopefully this year they will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blackcap was a bonus though it's call was a bit of a let down. Goldcrests blow my mind we have them in the garden and the size up close is amazing, so vulnerable looking and small, a great bird.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Strictly speaking it was my neighbours patch and both garden hopped over mine into my other neighbours garden, the branch is hanging over my fence so I'm counting as a tick...lol.

      Delete
  4. Two brilliant visitors. I never get to my camera in time because I daren't move once I spot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Findlay, I always take the camera with me. My biggest problem for scaring the birds off are my hounds :-)

      Delete