Sunday, 12 April 2015

ODDS 'n' SODS

There is a truly odd one is this patch of odds 'n' sods this time around. The images are from Summer Leys and Pasture Farm/Quarry Walk.
From Summer Leys another Little Grebe (dab chick) there is a noisy and boisterous pair, this one is foot stamping the surface of the water, hissy fit if you like.
As huge fan of the Reed Bunting, the male is in my opinion a seriously underated bird. This one was right on the footpath of Summer Leys at Kim's corner and a last one of the Marsh Harrier being harassed by the gulls over the scrape at Summer Leys.

One Kestrel shot from Quarry Walk/Pasture Farm, still not happy at the colour rendering of the underside part of the wing by the 1d mark2..this was from Saturday and the Marsh Harrier from Friday. Alan Coles and myself only got a fleeting glimpse of the Harrier on Saturday to much activity in the surrounding area from World War3 paintball style, general shooting and two very well informed individuals shooting with a rifle and silencer. Had an interesting chat about the summer visitors, they knew their stuff...I digress :-) Not only the bird in it's environment but so was I,  kneeling down. The one in the previous post once the bird seemed OK with my presence I carefully stood up. Shame about the tall vegetation on the left & foreground.
 Another distant bird in the environment shot, an odd mixture of objects in foreground and distant background (Great Doddington)
 If you check my website out the majority of my Marsh Harrier images are mature males, they're easier to expose. On 'cream heads' you need to dial an minimum of 1&1/3 exposure, crystal blue sky and the sun high and directly behind you to help illuminate the bird, any less in the bin, this one is borderline there is still dark areas.  Think Swifts.
 

A Chiff-Chaff from the boardwalk at Pasture Farm/Quarry Walk. It's got some strange growth on the bill. Im I'm not sure it's a fungal infection or not.


Now the odd. Truly odd. I wasn't sure what I was looking at. Whilst trying to suss it out the Osprey I posted drifted past, grabbed some record shots to have a closer look at home. It was very distant and very heavily cropped. I can see why some thought it was a Rough Legged Buzzard, it did briefly hover Kestrel style close to the ground. But I'll be honest I wasn't sure.
It's head was grey'ish. To me it's wing span was slightly longer and thinner (front edge to trailing edge) when wings were level.
 It is a pale phased Buzzard but a very odd looking one, what do you think/reckon? Initially when I saw it I thought Osprey then the real Osprey past by which left me slightly bemused, I certainly and unlike what some have said in the past about 'my' beloved Reed Bed came away from the place with some interesting shots...and the best birds for the site are yet to arrive!

10 comments:

  1. It is amazing that you get such diversity in an almost urban environment. I never use auto white balance, I usually have cameras set to sunny and adjust in post process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I set up on AWB is my laptop monitor is not calibrated and didn't like the results whilst viewing on a monitor that was after post production. These sites are semi rural, Great Doddington sits on top of a hill overlooking Summer Leys and The Reed Bed and surrounding countryside though at current rate of expansion it won't be long until it's urban

      Delete
    2. It was just a thought. I calibrate my monitors but am never sure I've done it right. I just pray the colour looks okay to others.
      I've been to Summer Leys but when I was there men in boats were doing something. I was with Keith and he is a boat magnet.

      Delete
    3. The colours on yours look spot on. The men in boats normally go put to the islands to clear vegetation. Though I've suspected they're having picnics :-)

      Delete
  2. HI Douglas You manged to get a marvellous variety of birds in this post. Thanks for recent comments I had no internet on the copleand Island at the weekend and it was too wondy and we got no birds ringed and not many migrants flying through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, shame about the wind it was just as bad here inland so can only imagine what it was like on Copeland. Hope you still had a good time

      Delete
  3. As always Douglas a great narrative to support the images ...... very well put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, hope you had a great weekend. You know me I can talk for England

      Delete
  4. Another great set of birds and images, Doug. I agree - Reed Buntings are super showy birds (both sexes), even if they are common enough.

    I hope your week is off to a good start - - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, pity about your osprey adventure I hope you get better luck. Weirdly my week has started off by writing an email to an MEP about Malta......

      Delete