Saturday, 25 April 2015

QUARRY WALK 25/04/2015

I couldn't resist another visit to the reed bed today. I couldn't get their as the reed bed awoke, oh no I was to be punished and have to go 'shoe' shopping with the better half. With that chore done I got my permission slip stamped and off I went.
Had to chuckle at the Moorhen crossing the road, it could do with MORE shoes. The terns looked good too going up and down the Nene.

I bumped into Bob who kindly informed me there was now two Grasshopper Warblers on site. The original bird seemed less confident but probably due the presence of another bird. Here's more of the Grasshopper Warbler from today.

It wasn't hiding too much today when it showed it spent a lot of time scuttling on the ground. I have no shame in admiting as long as the bird remains on site it'll get the majority of my attention....I've waited to long to get a showy individual, the second bird is where I normally see them, miles away.

A Chiff-Chaff did the usual (for me) of hiding behind the mass of willow.
It's either read my blog moaning about 'intruding branches' or heard my two worded expletive and felt sorry for me.
Not quite what I had in mind. Nor this one......
So it co-operated:-)
But my favourite Chiff-Chaff of the day was this one.
I bumped into a few more birders, so far five of them this week, which is more then I seen during the  whole of last summer lol. The site needs more people scanning it, it's too big for just one/two to do it justice.
I was distracted by the increase of Swallows, House Martins and the odd Sand Martin down at the lake. Loads had turned up, I scanned for anything out the ordinary but alas there wasn't.
A distant male Sparrowhawk gave chase to the 'Martins , but still no Hobbies or Swifts they're late for this site Hobbies by 5 days and Swifts just a couple of days late.


12 comments:

  1. It's shots like these that make me wish I were a birder. I'll content myself with your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to say it was hard work, but I just choose one or two likely spots and wait and see what pops by.

      Delete
  2. You certainly got great shots of the Warblers today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely spot Margaret for a variety of warblers so peaceful and wild...a bit too wild but a great place

      Delete
  3. Great shots again. Sounds like my kind of place.

    Hope the shoes are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, sadly the shoe's don't fit :-)

      Delete
  4. Douglas, I hope you got those red seven inch heels that you've been hankering after for ages?...they'll go well with that cammo micro skirt and crop top you've been dying to wear.....er?...anyway!...Another great set here. Looking forward to the Hobby and Swift images...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a mental image nightmares are made of. Cheers Trevor:-)
      I'm getting a bit worried at the lack of hobby and swifts. Hopefully something in the next few days.

      Delete
  5. Your Quarry is a gem Douglas, what a great variety of birds to be able to target ...... as usual fine images supported by a great narrative, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a welcomed distraction but the grasshopper warbler is making sure I'm ignoring the other warblers. I must concentrate lol

      Delete
  6. It's beginning to look as if it might be quite a good year for warblers if my observations are anything to go by (probably not!).

    Another great set of images, Doug! That Tern looks wonderfully smart. However, I'm still green over your Gropper!

    Are you back at work yet?

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we have a good summer for warblers. Plenty of insects about this year.
      Sadly I'm back at work:-(

      Delete