Friday, 10 April 2015

ROLLING THE DICE: MARSH HARRIER AGAIN

Well I don't mind posting record shots, they have a purpose of sorts. But I will be the first to say I'd rather a decent image. One thing I noted about yesterday's Marsh Harrier was the direction it flew off, westerly. Which given the time of year really should've been at least  east or north. It also disappeared to my favourite site "the reed bed" a site I've been gagging for a Marsh Harrier to show up at, it's a ripe habitat for one. Further talk (tweet) with our county recorder and local birder Kim sparked a gut feeling. So off I went.
Above is a map view of the site. "A" is were the bird was hunting. The site is strictly private PLEASE DON'T WANDER ON IT. "B"  is where I was stood a big earth mound constructed as a 'keep out' but doubled as a good screen. It's public footpath  (Natural England) and can be accessed via a public footpath adjacent to the working gravel pit and opposite the old 'Dunkleys' restaurant. The nearby farm is called Pasture Farm. Walk up along the field following the hedgerow until you get to a boardwalk and reed bed and follow the path clockwise . It's a great spot. You'll be counting squeals of Water Rails as you go, but you'll be lucky to actually see one. It's labelled "C". This is a bird in its environment hunting at "A"
I've got a stack of images to go through but mostly sky shots like this.
On the way out I also got my second Osprey at the big lake adjacent to the site (not in map view) another record shot, sorry.
Getting lucky lol.

9 comments:

  1. You are getting lucky and so are we they are great to see,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian it's great to see this bird around here, it's been loitering since last weekend which isn't normal we only see them on migration if we see a male that could possibly be massive news for Northants birders.

      Delete
  2. Great observing Douglas ..... I often tell myself to '' think like a bird '' when trying to guess the activity of the TLNR Barn Owls ..... well done !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I've tried thinking like a bird but my neighbours chase me away from their feeders with brooms :-)

      Delete
  3. A cracking bird Doug; nice one.

    Still not seen any Ospreys yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got lucky with the Osprey it was the presence of a very strange Buzzard that drew my eyes skyward as the Osprey was passing otherwise I think I might have missed it to be honest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant to get the Marsh Harrier like that, Doug. I'm up at 03h00 tomorrow morning in the hope of some Osprey images (no, I don't sneak up on them at night!). I'll let you know how I get on!

    Best wishes - - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, up a 3am hey, if that's what I think it means, remember the trout is for the Osprey :-)

      Delete
    2. Didn't quite go to plan - something spooked trhe bird!

      Delete