Thursday, 30 April 2015

SUMMER LEYS 30/04/15

I opted for a visit to Summer Leys, I needed to boost my year list with some waders. Sadly I didn't get to add to many. Plenty of Little Ringed Plover in the middle of the scrape. The recently reprofiled scrape is looking good and the decision to hold the water levels high has so far worked. I couldn't see any Black Headed Gulls nesting.....so far. A notable absentee was Redshank, previous years you could guarantee a minimum of four birds, the whole time in the Paul Britain hide I only saw two birds and they flew in then out from Brayshaws Bund. 3 Snipe were also present.
Heavily cropped though. Lapwings were also present, busily fending off the local corvids. But still a great place to see Lapwings up close and personal.

Best bird but sadly no image was the first bird of the day a Water Pipit on the earth mound between the Pioneer hide and Rotary Island hide. A school boy error on my part (hadn't turned the camera on) meant after confirming it was definitely a Water Pipit, glancing down to turn camera on it had vanished....shit, I spent 20 odd minutes checking the ditch, Rotary island and the scrape but it eluded me, adding further insult to injury, adding it to the Birdtrack app on my phone I was greeted with a message "bird species not recorded in the last month", grrr, stringer alert lol.

 Mistle Thrush and the ultimate Tug of War.
Also saw some Shelduck and Egyptian Geese (2). Found this and took a snap with camera phone.
Badger or fox? Given my experience with puppies I'd say that's only a week old maximum. Saw my first Swift and a lot of Common Whitethroat.
 Both images quite distant as it kept going back to one area with food so I opted to stay a bit further away then I'd normally like to.


11 comments:

  1. A good visit. A great action shot of the Thrush. I am ignorant and have had to look up Water pipits. I'll keep an eye out for one or better still a flock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to see it, really gutted not to get an image to back my claim as its an odd time to see one.

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful colours on the Lapwings Douglas, and they always put on a good show.

    You didn't really want any images of a Water Pipit, did you?....still, there's always next time!!

    After seeing the Mistle Thrush having a struggle with the worm I've decided...it's spaghetti for dinner tonight!

    That looks like a baby rabbit... 2.5 - 3 inches long?...difficult to get scale from the image...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I really needed that Water Pipit image, we do get them in Autumn but rarely in April, really did need it:-( but the Lapwings and even though far away the LRP's even fair compensation as was hearing the Cuckoo. It could be rabbit it makes sense as it was on the footpath where there's a lot of rabbit Warren, though it was about 4 inches long and quite developed claws

      Delete
  3. I love days like this Doug, you never know what will pitch up and present an opportunity for an image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a bad morning, the Sandmartins looked good, an interesting sized flock of Housemartins on the site opposite Steps about 75, a solitary swift and good numbers of Garden Warbler too.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that you missed the Wipit, Doug. A splendid post, nevertheless! I love the colours in you Lapwing images, but my favourite is the Reed Bunting shot - not the easiest bird to capture in flight!

    Best wishes for the forthcoming week - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I was gutted about the wiki really needed the image for it to be 'accepted' but that's another story.....hope you have a good week to.

      Delete
  5. Great selection of images Douglas. A really good read, and some interesting ones in there too! Sorry you didn't nail the Wipit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm gutted about the wipit, still we normally see one in the Autumn so I'll be prepared next time lol

      Delete