Saturday, 9 May 2015

HOBBIES & CUCKOO QUARRY WALK 9/5/15

Funny how things work out sometimes. I wasn't supposed to be going to the Reed bed today, I was supposed to be going up to Summer Leys. I was heading up the A45 on my way hoping for Great White Egrets etc, obviously not concentrating as much as I should've, I turned off the A45 at Earls Barton went over the bridge and thought "bollocks, what am I doing" . I was just about to turn round when I saw big groups of people walking a lot in foreign army clobber, of course it's the annual Waendel walk (Google it, not very interesting). They always cut through Summer Leys being a nuisance. Like the twat I caught last year having a crap in the hide, who promptly got punched by me when he refused to pick it up, he did in the end. I didn't need that this weekend. So parked up and headed over to Quarry Walk instead. Which turned out to be the right choice. Two not so showy Grasshopper Warblers, plenty of Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler. More Common Whitethroat (seems to be loads of them this year) and Cettis Warbler. However down the bottom end at the lake not only could I see plenty of Swifts but an all to familiar shape of a Hobby. Off I went, with plenty of grey skies and a heavy downpour I wasn't hoping for much. For example these are the best flight shots I could manage

There was definately eight birds mostly over the electricity pylons on Grendon Lakes but perhaps more, but couldn't count them quick enough. The last few years it's been rubbish for them here with just the odd one or two. I have had a frankly unbelievable 20 birds many years ago at this site, so unbelievable Richard Bedford and few others came to count them!! Nothing like not being believed! But even they confirmed 20.
I had a Cuckoo all day at the site but unlike previous years I'm yet to hear or see a female. This was the worse one I got as it flew past
It got better as I watched the Hobbies. This one came into land, so close to, my jaw dropped and I turned into a jibbering wreck a Hobby portrait I've been dying to get for years. It was struggling to get purchase on the branch due to the wind and eventually gave up trying and opted to perch on the distant pylons. 



Not quite portrait but closest I've been. 
This was the best Cuckoo shot I could manage today

8 comments:

  1. It was fortuitous that you suffered a minor bit of memory lapse. It turned into a grand post for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian it's weird how things work out it was a good day

      Delete
  2. Cracking Hobby and Cuckoo images Doug, I was watching three Hobby hawking over the pits at TLNR yesterday ..... fantastic birds !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, I was looking through the local bird reports & Twitter it looks like we have good numbers of Hobbies along the Nene Valley this year. This Cuckoo is the same bird that visits Summer Leys, this morning on the dog walk I heard one at Salcey Forest, one at Denton woods and your one, I think for Cuckoo's that's quite positive

      Delete
  3. I think that your Hobby encounter pretty much matches my recent Barnie encounter, Doug. Brilliant stuff! I rather like your Cuckoo images too.

    I wish this weather would settle down a bit. Best regards - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite comical watching it try to get purchase and failing. Closest I've ever been to one.
      All I want is just some blue skies even if it's just for a couple of hours

      Delete
  4. I'm liking your dancing Hobby Doug, very comical! Your Cuckoo ain't bad either mate, a species that I don't even hear anymore let alone manage an image of here in south leicestershire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing hobby I'm not going to be able to get a tap dancing Hobby image out of my mind now lol.
      It's sad to hear that about the Cuckoo in your neck of the woods I'm quite surprised too as we're not that far away from you, might be worth checking out any wooded areas near you.

      Delete