Monday, 4 May 2015

MEP'S RESPONSE TO SPRING HUNTING IN MALTA

I hate writing letters to MP's/MEP'S. I'm not very good at
it. I digress and often stumble my way to the point (I guess you know that already though). So when I tweeted to MEP'S representing the East Midlands I was actually surprised and slightly daunted by the fact ONE asked me to email her with my concerns. So I did. Anyone who's ever asked their MP about wildlife/conservation concerns will know only to well the kind of "automated" response and not actually answering the question posed. Perhaps in recent years my MP being a Tory I've got used to it. However the response I got was really encouraging considering my initial 'tweet'. Is it because it's election time? I actually think it's not,  please read the very full response I got back. OK, some of it has been lifted from Birdlife's website but I only know this as I did the same lol. It's actually what she has done that impressed me. Best response from a political figure I've had in a long time that's for sure.  


Dear Douglas,

Thank you for writing to me regarding the hunting of birds during the spring migration season in Malta.

Under the EU’s Birds Directive, it is illegal to hunt birds during the breeding and migratory seasons.  However, Malta is making use of a derogation in the Directive, which allows exceptions to be made on the condition that there is no suitable alternative, that hunting is done on a selective basis, that only a small number of birds are killed and that these conditions are strictly supervised.

Unfortunately, this week the hunting lobby in Malta won a referendum in favour of continuing their derogation to the Birds Directive and the spring hunting of birds by only 2,200 votes. I hope that this incredibly close result will not stop conservationists from protesting spring hunting in Malta, and I can assure you that Labour MEPs will continue to campaign to end the illegal hunting of protected species.

During the Spring hunting season, many migrating birds rest in Malta on their way north to breed, but Malta is alone in the EU in allowing hunting of Turtle Dove and Quail, and trapping of Golden Plover and Song Thrush. Alarmingly, the Turtle Dove is almost extinct as a breeding bird in the UK, with bird lovers in the UK launching campaigns to save it, while it is being actively hunted in Malta.

Following a ruling by the European Court of Justice that too many birds were killed during the spring hunting seasons from 2004-2007, Malta developed a legal framework to implement the derogation.  This was revised in 2010 following a formal warning from the European Commission that it still did not accurately reflect the conditions of the Birds Directive.  However, given that the current framework allows over 10,000 registered hunters in Malta to obtain a spring hunting license, it is likely that far more than the legally permitted 16,000 birds are being shot. Birdlife Malta also has a number of concerns relating to the poor implementation of the legal framework, including that hunters are using the opportunity to illegally shoot other species, including many that are severely threatened.  In addition, EU Action Plans for both the Common Quail and Turtle Dove (the two birds which Malta allows hunting of during spring) state that the two species are in decline and have an ‘unfavourable conservation status’.

Let me assure you that I fully share your concerns. The spring hunting of birds in Malta has a direct impact on bird numbers in the UK, as many of the birds that are targeted are those on route to their breeding grounds in Northern Europe.  It is precisely because birds do not stay within national boundaries that we need EU-wide law regarding the hunting and capture of birds, and, like you, I also feel the European Commission has a responsibility to ensure the law is fully respected.

The European Commission is aware of the problem.  Earlier this year, Birdlife International, Birdlife Malta and a number of MEPs co-wrote a letter to the European Commissioner for the Environment, Janez Potočnik, requesting a meeting to discuss what could be done.  Following the meeting, we still have a number of concerns and feel the Commission could be doing more to address the problem.  I have therefore co-signed a second letter from Birdlife Malta to Commissioner Potočnik, outlining our continuing concerns and setting out what further action we feel needs to be taken.

At the beginning of last April I also submitted a written question to the Commission regarding illegal hunting of birds in a number of Mediterranean countries and asking what action the Commission is taking to ensure the provisions of the Birds Directive are fully enforced.

You may also be interested to know that during last year’s European Commissioner hearings, the Maltese candidate for the Environment portfolio, Mr Karmenu Vella, was questioned by Labour MEPs who wanted to ensure that, if he was appointed Commissioner, he would represent the interests of the EU and not just Malta.  I was pleased to hear Mr Vella emphasise this in his hearing and reiterate that he condemns illegal hunting and will work to enforce the provisions of the Birds Directive across Europe.  However, as part of his portfolio, Mr Vella has been tasked with carrying out an in-depth evaluation of the Birds and Habitats Directives.  I can assure you that Labour MEPs will follow any revision of these Directives very closely and we will work hard to ensure that there is no watering down of vital environmental and wildlife protection.

Last year, I also submitted a parliamentary question to the Commission about the Birds Directive, asking what could be done to stop illegal hunting of birds. Their response was that implementation is the responsibility of Member States, but that they could investigate in cases where illegal hunting was alleged to be happening. The Commission has pledged to take steps to address poor enforcement of the Birds Directive, including investigations into cases of systematic enforcement failures, and future infringement proceedings.

Labour MEPs have also asked the Commission for regular information about the success of their new enforcement drive, and I hope that we will manage to make progress at EU level by closely monitoring the progress of the Commission.

I hope this has reassured you that Labour MEPs feel strongly about this matter and that we will continue to do everything we can to push the Commission to ensure Malta is fully respecting the provisions of the Birds Directive.

I hope you this information addresses your concerns but if you have further questions on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.


Best wishes



Glenis Willmott MEP

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

8 comments:

  1. I think she is doing what she can but that it amounts to bugger all. She is not in a very strong position when you consider we can't seem to stop persecution of protected species here.
    One change in the law to make landowners liable would be a step in the right direction. I would favour a ban on all commercial shoots and a ban on wild fowling. Netting is bad enough but for those that like the hunt I doubt it does too much harm. Is canon netting still legal?
    Keep up the good work and the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your feelings on politicians Adrian, I've grown increasingly sceptical over recent years. My MEP'S are this 2 UKIP'S, 1 TORY and 1 Labour. Only the Labour MEP responded. Can one MEP make a difference? I'm not convinced, but she's not alone in the European Parliament and not the only UK MEP trying to tackle this tricky issue. I personally will give her my full support I haven't come across many politicians who care about wildlife/conservation issues in my time. If Glenis and other MEP'S from not only the UK but across Europe can bring pressure on the Maltese government then in my book it's a positive rather then negative. It won't though just be politicians who'll make a change its down to Joe Public like ourselves to make our voices heard, I think social media played it's part in bringing an early end to this year's spring hunting. Time will tell how effective our MEP'S are but considering both previous responses from my local MP (non existent) and other 'no acknowledgement' from right leaning MEP'S in my area, I'm taking it as a positive. I think canon netting is still used but on waders, not 100% on that though.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No surprises Glenis is a Labour MEP. Totally agree Keith, I shall remember that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Well done to you Doug for actually getting off your ass and actually trying to do something about this appalling situation. Sadly I think her hands are tied but good of her to respond in this manner. Keep up the fight my man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel sorry for our MEP'S. You have idiots like Farage bemoaning the system whilst milking it for every penny, you then get the Tories banging on about how bad the EU is with a "what has it done for us recently" attitude and constantly threatening to leave. So eventually when a British MEP stands up to raise serious issues you can only imagine them not bothering to listen. However there are other MEP's from other member states that have also taken this issue on. Of course as Glenis mentions there is still the issue of the bird directive/Mr.Vella which doesn't look great.
      Paul, I think Glenis may also be your MEP too.

      Delete
  4. Hi Douglas Well done for twitting in the first instance and then good on Glenis for respondng to your email in quite some detail. I believe ONE can always make a differenve although it should not be left to only one to sort out this problem. Hopefullly she has more backing not only from other MP's but other countries. Keep up the good work, it is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive words Margaret. She's not alone. To get the 'right' to spring hunt the Maltese needed a referendum. It was a very close result 50.1% for hunting and 49.9% against hunting so there's support on the island which is massively important. It's got to be hard for a British MEP to argue this issue as it could easily be pointed out about Fox hunting, Hen Harriers disappearing etc. Let's hope something is done before its too late.

      Delete