Monday, 11 May 2015

ODDS 'N' SODS

These are from Saturday that I lazily didn't get round to posting. Despite the better weather I'd promised to both take the girlfriend out today and watch her jump some stick like obstacles on her horse (zzzzzz) then watch some motorsports and Chelsea. I'm still getting my head around the changes in the Touring Cars and to be frank I hate the changes....though the best bit came from a young 14 year old German in the Ginetta Juniors called Sophie Floersch winning both races on her debut, honestly last time I saw such a skillful drive was also on the Touring car package and he's currently the F1 champion. Honestly she was that good even the grandstand gave her a round a round of applause after her second race win, that doesn't happen too often in the Ginetta Juniors.
Anyway I digress, first up a 'so/so' image of a Hobby in front of the pylons, note the orange balls to prevent  the Swans flying into them, there's a massive sub-power station nearby that provides electricity for Wellingborough and parts of Northampton and scares the bugger out of me when it thunders.
 
Grey skies normally make for rubbish images but on white birds I personally like them as it makes a nice contrast, I think. One of the many Little Egrets on the site
Having reviewed my images on my website I noticed I had no Jay flight shots so even though this isn't perfect, it's a starting point
And finally two Common Whitethroats


12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the three opening shots. The jay is great. It will come as little surprise that I can't get one perched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, I'm not surprised reference the Jay, I've not got many either, they're very skittish and really hard to get near, this one was a fluke flyby.

      Delete
    2. Aye; but I can't even get the wee devils flying away. I console myself with the thought that at least I've seen one.

      Delete
    3. I think I've been like that so many times.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Doug, I agree with you viv a vis the Little Egret against a grey sky, great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, it's funny I noticed it with gulls and terns, it also helps prevent over exposure too :-)

      Delete
  3. Yep - white bird against a grey sky works very nicely, Doug, as your Egret image shows admirably.

    Well done for catching the Jay - another bird that doesn't hang about when it gets going!

    Love the Whitethroat images too, but you've got me itching to get some Hobby images!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I can't wait for my next hobby session it's one of them birds on my obsession list.

      Delete
  4. great flight shots. I have never really sen a Hobby that closely. Love the Whitethroat images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, the Hobby is such a stunning bird up close, not touch bigger than a Kestrel and gorgeous too

      Delete
  5. You did really well with the Hobbies Doug, they are one of my main targets for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll catch up with some, I love them.

      Delete