Sunday, 31 May 2015

QUARRY WALK 30/05/15

Well on the stolen memory card front I had my suspicion confirmed when fellow birder Martin Swannell came up to me yesterday to deliver the bad news that he'd found the bag in which they were in. Some considerable distance from where not only had I left them but also in spot I don't stop at. The location does in my mind confirm to me who had them away. It's kind of ripped my gut out, to the extent from now on I'm distancing myself from the whole 'birding scene'. No more exchanging of birds, no more sharing new locations etc, no more reporting of birds not that it matters I don't find to many 'reportables' and no more images for local reports again not an issue as there are many toggers etc I'M JUST MAKING MY POSITION CLEAR. Whilst I'm drawing lines in the sand, those who actually know me and have met me know I'm not exactly the shy retiring type so take note, the individual I believe (I'm rarely wrong) took these cards when I see you next I WILL confront you I will challenge you, if I believe it to be you after confronting you, YOU ARE GETTING KNOCKED OUT. I've notified my picture agencies legal department who have a team that all they do is trawl blogs, magazines, newspapers, websites, social media and photo sharing websites....think I'm joking? Double dare you to post an image....go on.
MASSIVE THANK YOU TO MARTIN SWANNELL and nice talking to you yesterday.
So what did I get from yesterday? Unsurprisingly not much I just wasn't in the mood to be fair, way to angry but I bet you guessed that :-/
Got a diving Red Kite
The Oystercatchers are flying around with just one juvenile this is the adult bird
A quick and very, very out of focus Lesser Whitethroat just posting as a lot of people keep asking where it is and often like myself struggle to find it this is just to show I'm not imagining it, though I often question myself lol, crap picture but the important id bits are visible, if you squint lol
 A very nest worn looking Chiff-Chaff
The Hobbies were on show sadly one minute blue skies the next grey (and almost an autumnal feeling)
 Going for a spot of takeaway.
 Which it caught.




13 comments:

  1. Some great shots there Doug, despite not being in the mood.
    The Hobby is an amazing sequence.

    Hope you get to sort out the knob who stole your cards.
    I've distanced myself from my local birding scene for some time, and only report local stuff on my Caldecotte blog. They all seem to have their heads so far up each others backsides, it's a wonder they can breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, I will get hold of the individual and even he tries to give me a wide berth I shall go looking for him. Sadly the majority of Northamptonshire birders are OK and not pretentious etc so it's a shame but it's best all round

      Delete
  2. HI Douglas just getting caught up with blogs becausee as you know I have been away(still am) on Tory Island, now back on the mainland again and am apalled at what has happened to your cards. I do hope if these people are reading your blog they will have the sense to not publish any of your shots and if they have a grain of decency they will return the cards some way to you. Love the series of Hibby shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a great time on Tory Island hopefully Boris Johnson wasn't present :-) in a lot of ways I'm hoping they images do get uploaded somewhere it will help me out no end

      Delete
  3. I would be well pissed off as well but then my memory cards are all formatted as I clear them as I use them.
    The kite looks well but the bad bird chose to dive where the power lines are. Not a big job to remove them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly I learnt the hard way about not formatting cards after use.
    The powerlines I would remove them as they're pig ugly but after much deliberation I kept them in. They're a massive part of the site and brilliant example of how when an energy company spends a bit of money on preventing bird strikes wildlife can flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug, if you do meet up with the scumbag and you hand out some justice just be careful that you comments on here don't come back to haunt you? Revenge is best served cold so show some restraint, let the dust settle and give it plenty of thought before seeking retribution. Oh great post and images too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doug, I share Pauls position.

    Rise above it mate, make your points should you meet the individual that you BELIEVE is responsible, but don't leave yourself open to further abuse ...... I look forward to continuing to receive your stories and insights that I find very informative, keep up the good work that we all enjoy !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is just after Xmas I had to go shopping on a retail park circa 6 miles from home, some how I'd dropped my driving license. A 14 year old kid (you know the 'youth' who media portray as untrustworthy etc) got on a bus travelled 6 miles and returned it. Gave him a lift home etc yet he refused a reward after talking to us mum I ended up just getting a card and squeezed a £20 note into it. You'd expect the same or better moral compass from someone a lot more mature......I am just to angry at the moment.

      Delete
  8. Hi Doug. Just catching up after returning from a stay in Scotland.

    I echo Paul and John's words about being careful with your retribution. If you do get conclusive proof, just let the rest of the birding world know so that he's generally ostracised.

    Great images. Interested to see Adrian's comment about the wires, and your response. I'm suffering the same dilemma with some Shortie images from Scotland. Very windy so the birds kept low below the fence line. What would have been my better images all have the 'shadow' of out-of-focus wires which were a long way in front of them. Not so easy to remove in my case as the 'shadows' are over a fair proportion of the bird, and very broad and fuzzy. Very frustrating.

    Best wishes - - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky decision to make whether to clone our or keep in. I did do two versions cloned and non cloned and was still undecided. I'd rather keep the image honest as possible and will declare things etc. But sometimes, perhaps not with electric cables, it creates a sense of the habitat especially in your case with Shorties and fences. I look forward to seeing what you opt for. Hopefully you had a good trip.

      Delete