Friday, 15 May 2015

SOME HOBBIES, QUARRY WALK 15/05/15

I headed off to Quarry Walk today, the sky and light for the most part was OK'ish. The Hobbies was busy hawking dragonflies sadly for the most part of the visit on the private section of Grendon Lakes. I was really gutted as at one point during the day as I watched the Hobbies performing their acrobatic displays over one section of the lakes I could see 6 Hobbies, 2 Buzzards, 1 sparrowhawk and a Red Kite. I got great views of what looked like individual Hobbies attempting establishing nesting sites.
I eventually got some good close up flyby's

I'm spending a lot of time removing dust bunnies in post processing, this old 1d mark2 seems to suck dust into it's sensor quicker then a Dyson and it's starting to play havoc with the AF system.



Whilst waiting for the Hobbies to come back over I grabbed a Whitethroat image.

 I sadly didn't hear nor see the Cuckoo. That's probably due to no female bird on site. Still at least the Hobbies performed brilliantly if at times distantly.
  

11 comments:

  1. I have a 1Ds III and it too sucks dust. Great shots of the Hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nightmare for sure but at least my old mark3 had a sensor cleaner that kept on top of things.

      Delete
  2. These are excellent images of the Hobbies in flight. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret I'd happily swap a Hobby in flight for some of those wonderful elephants you got, have a great weekend too

      Delete
  3. Great set Doug, Hobby can be a challenge and light quality and direction is key ..... well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super images Doug well done! I didn't realise there were so many big dragonflies about already. I think a close shot of a Hobby is pretty hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I have to admit at one point putting down the camera and just sat and watched. I was treated to great close up views.

      Delete
  5. Superb set Doug, stunning action shots with incredible detail, dead jealous LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul don't be jealous if you saw how many I binned you'd be laughing:-) well done on Premiership survival by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous set of Hobby images, Doug. They are amazing birds to watch. I've not seen a single dragonfly/damselfly yet this year. I must satart looking more carefully. The Hobbies are obviously finding them without too much difficulty!

    I wish this rain would stop. All the best - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, interestingly Neil said he hadn't noticed many dragons either. Down on the site where these were taken I saw many darters, dragons and damoiselflies in the air. It was a feeding frenzy.

      Delete