Tuesday, 9 June 2015

CHARGING CHIFF-CHAFF

Sometimes whilst roaming with my camera very occasionally I get a day when just one species makes my day and makes me so happy to be a birder. Even if the one species insists on leaving foetal matter on my camera bag.....and the day started off so rubbish too.
I set myself on a very overgrown and little used footpath that's pretty good for Tits, Bullfinches and the Chiff-Chaff. This is the footpath
This bird would work it's way up and down the hedge line searching for food and depositing foetal sacks. I just placed my camera bag down, used the vegetation for cover and let the bird go pass a few times. It's a nice little spot especially when the Bullfinch play ball.
So I wanted some uncluttered images. I got some!


An opportunity for flight shots if a: the light was a tiny bit better b: I was quick enough, two frames one after each other the third frame had dangling legs from the top of the frame :-) too quick and busy hunting.

I was enjoying watching the bird as much as photographing it. It seemed to ignore me and other times was feet away even checking my camera  bag out which was a few feet away from me, I was wandering up and down the lane trying for other birds it was safe to leave it unattended, right? I mean it's the countryside. Nope.  It was using my bag not only as perch to hunt in the long grass and nettles but getting rid of the juvenile birds pooh sacks....I was sure it would wipe off. Couldn't care to be honest, how often will this happen?
 The phrase Jammy Bastard springs to mind.

15 comments:

  1. WOW !!! That was one wonderful session, Doug. I'd not be too worried if the mess doesn't clean up - it'd be a constant reminder of this delightful bird.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an obliging Chiff-Chaff very bold in the end. I really enjoyed that session.

      Delete
  2. WOW! what brilliant photographs Douglas especially the charging Chiffchaff..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly struggled on two counts getting images Margaret. Keeping the camera steady room chuckling and also just watching it to see what it was doing

      Delete
  3. Great post Doug, all great images but you deffo saved the best to last, an awesome image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definately one of those moments that probably won't happen again, I kind of felt very honoured in a way.

      Delete
  4. Douglas, with the help of a very photogenic model you managed to capture a cracking set of images and you also got a down payment...or should that be a deposit?... for your efforts..nice!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know certain cosmetic companies are plugging away at selling Nightingale pooh as a moisturiser so I've posted them some Chiff-Chaff pooh in hope of striking it rich :-)

      Delete
  5. It is great when a wild creature is so trusting. It even posed for some great images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the best moment having the trust of the bird which is such a rare event. Definately stored in my memory banks

      Delete
  6. What an intimate experience Doug supported by images of the highest class ....... one of those moments that you will recapture in years to come just by closing your eyes ..... fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly you're probably right to get a Chiff-Chaff taking advantage of my camera bag will probably ever happen again my memory, thank God for cameras :-)

      Delete
  7. That's fantastic. What great shots.

    Debs, Northampton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debs, it was a delight to watch

      Delete
    2. Thank you Debs, it was a delight to watch

      Delete