Thursday, 25 June 2015

JUNE'S ODDS AND SODS

Crikey June's almost done and dusted and I realised two things a) that went quickly b) I have not yet done Odds and Sod's this month. I'll start with most recent and work backwards.
Yesterday was spent trying and failing to get Sandmartins in flight up at Moulton Quarry , I did the usual up against the sky but as with a lot of my flight work of late I really wanted some vegetation as a backdrop
 Sky backdrops are OK and easier but I like a challenge this one I'd be happier if it was a bit sharper and the scorching sun hadn't vanished on que.
At the start of the spring there was 24 birds present, scouring every nesting hole I'd say 14 maximum birds,  at times I was only seeing 6 to 8 birds. I had a look at where the Little Owl was on my last visit, it wasn't there I knew it wouldn't be I checked to make sure it wasn't a nesting site, it wasn't I did find some pellets but I'm not convinced it's a Little Owl's what do you reckon?
It was mostly made up of what I think was the wings of beetles and a lot of plastic, see the black arrow.
Had a distant Kestrel on the way home, despite both us being in an open field with no cover it got reasonably close.
 And finally from yesterday a Common Whitethroat. The males were doing their flight and fall display obviously going for second broods. This year it seems on my patch Whitethroats are the most numerous of Warbler species. Also on a positive note I was told that extraction application for the quarry had been rejected/withdrawn after checking for myself it's true so the quarry carries on.


A Goldfinch that had been for a bath.
A few from my last visit to Summer Leys
A Little Egret
 And of course Common Terns, what else.



12 comments:

  1. It has been a quick month.
    I really like the kestrel. It's ages since I've seen one.
    Great news. Good to hear you still have the quarry and better news for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kestrel was such a performer it never came any closer but stayed in the field for ages. Great bird. The quarry is fantastic the Meadow hasn't quite taken off like last year but it is very dry so maybe that's had an impact

      Delete
  2. It's not only June that has passed so quickly Douglas, the year so far seems to have whizzed by...not long now till 'Christmas' starts to appear in the shops??

    Great selection from the odds and sods basket....I really like the wet Goldfinch and, of course, the Terns.

    And good news about the quarry too!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send yourself to the sin bin for mentioning the "C" word in June:-) weirdly no-one/few lodged objections so I'm hoping they don't submit a revised plan Tatami is a big company, I was originally told by someone who is involved with planning in this area it had been refused and it had no chance, so fingers crossed

      Delete
  3. Great images for your round up Doug. It does seem to have been a quick month to me too.
    Love the Whitethroat shots. Good to get them out in the open like that.
    Can't help with the pellet ID I'm afraid, but what a sad sign of our pollutant times that it contains bits of plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if the Whitethroats were quite mature juveniles as they had a slight gape still showing and they were quite showy which is unusual. Sadly one of the pits has been backfilled with rubbish and bits of plastic and ceramics are starting to get to the top.

      Delete
  4. Yes deffo Little Owl pellet Doug, quite a fresh one too! Another nice selection of images but where is the customary Sprawk in flight shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul for the id confirmation. Sadly I haven't seen the sprawk for a while on the site.

      Delete
  5. As always Doug a great review ... light quality has been a bit of a challenge this month ......I think you did a good job making the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John luckily next week looks promising weather wise or did I just jinx it :-)

      Delete
  6. Great post, Doug, and great news about the quarry too!

    Super images, but the Whitethroat images, even if you didn't manage flight shots, are my favourite.

    Congratulations on an inspiring post on Findlay's blog. Best wishes - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard on all counts. Findlay had a really good idea with his series of blog posts he gives oldies like me hope for a better future, very clever and passionate young man.

      Delete