Tuesday, 16 June 2015

LITTLE OWL.

Last year when I first started to visit this quarry I got a stoat on these rocks. At the time I was pondering if the Little Owl was visiting this little pit.....there was a few clues to be fair, you might notice them in the images lol. But all last year I had only seen it the once. It's a single bird. These were taken at about 2:30pm'ish which is a bit odd really, for me
It has a very tall oak that's bathed in sun from dawn to dusk and reckon it uses the pit for shade. Plenty of Dunnock's and Wren's etc. It was eventually relaxed enough to try a few different angles, there's no chance of getting closer unless you got some climbing ropes due to the sheer drop.
 Thought in the next image I would get a flight shot but it just looked up, I couldn't see anything! It was doing it for a while.
 I messed up and moved further round which wasn't the best light
And three quick images of where I photographed the Chiff-Chaff the other week....what was the point? LAST WEEK
THIS WEEK
MOST OF IT TRAMPLED?
These two, is this an orchid? Can they get this tall?



10 comments:

  1. Nice find with the Little Owl Douglas, looks like it might spend quite a bit of time on those rocks?

    Looks like you've got Elephants hiding somewhere in that undergrowth!! Someone has gone to a lot of effort to do that (damage?)...but why?

    No, not an Orchid but Common Broom Cytisus scoparius (Scotch Broom if you're from the good 'ol US of A) It mostly comes in yellow but other colours like red, pink or purple are available! A garden escape and sometimes classed as an invasive species....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the plant id Trevor makes sense this part of the quarry is full of non native stuff the put was probably back filled with garden waste. Sadly that's the first time I managed to get the owl in the pit plenty of evidence gave me hope lol.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots of the Little Owl, and always a good feeling to find birds like this yourself. Nice one.
    Not sure what's caused the 'trampled' looking plants. Seems both sides of the track have been flattened. Maybe a fat birder?
    Beautiful plant, but I don't think it's an orchid. Trev is the bloke for that, he's got a big book on orchids. Looks to me like some sort of 'Broom'; possibly a garden hybrid escapee?

    Right, enough Sherlock theories, too early :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith only took me year you catch it in the pit. It was really relaxed humans can't get near it though I did see a stoat, hmmm stoat flying on a Little Owl.
      As for the lane, no vehicles can get down it, nor elephant as suggested by Trevor I'm hedging my bets and say fat vandal :-)

      Delete
  3. Stunning shots. The plant is broom and in the autumn it's good fun to pop the seeds. It really is a grand place you have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to have a go with those seeds in the autumn sounds like fun. I do like the quarry best bit is the planned reopening of the quarry has been scrapped so the place can carry on getting back to being a wild place.

      Delete
  4. A great post, Doug! I love your images of the LO on the rocks. It could be that it's living in there, rather than the tree behind - they do like to 'nest' in holes in quarries as I've witnessed on Portland. They also nest in drystone walls.

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're actually to blame for me hoping for this image. It was actually that post from Portland last year that made realise it was possible that a LO might be on/in the quarry floor that's how long I've been after the image lol. It's not nesting though in the quarry I saw it predate two prey items but later in the evening saw it retire to the tree and 99.9% it can be found in the tree. Though I'll keep my eyes open just in case.

      Delete
  5. Your patience has been rewarded Doug with some fine LO images, can't get near to them at TLNR !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Normally on foot (I prefer car or hide) that's my experience of LO's too John. This one I reckon it knew it was safe, the 10 foot deep and pure vertical sides of the pit makes it impossible to get uncomfortably close.

      Delete