Friday, 12 June 2015

QUARRY WALK 11/06/15

It was a bit hot yesterday for my visit to Quarry Walk. By 8:30am there was noticeable heat haze appearing in the images. By 11:30 I was sitting in the shade taking it easy under my favourite oak just thinking about absolutely nothing....no change there then. Anything against vegetation was not worth photographing due to the heat haze. Luckily there's always the Hobbies which were lazily gliding and hawking and having to dodge the Common Terns that bizarrely were giving them grief, brave or stupid?
Image wise they're a bit 'samey'. I will get something a bit different once they co-operate.
This particular bird below is always flying around with one foot dangling. It doesn't appear to have any trouble catching prey though using both feet to catch and eat.



As I sat enjoying the shade a Kingfisher came across the arable field towards the lake. I also even though it came 'out of the sun' had a very low flying Red Kite, haven't done a record shot for ages so here's two....  A Jay
And a Drinker Moth (is that right) to add to my 'Macro with a 500mm prime lens' album :-)
The hot weather and abundance of bugs must've tempted an outpouring of fledglings. My favourite was the Common Whitethroat in what I call Warbler Alley which is the raised footpath that runs from the screen hide to the benches at the bottom of the lake. Many warblers plus common birds had youngsters out but in the heat it was the Whitethroat that were just sitting out in the open.
Adult bird first.
There was five juvenile Whitethroats sitting in the open being fed by both adult birds all looking prone to predation. Despite my presence and please remember I do have 700mm so wasn't as close as the images might suggest the adult bird had no problems fetching food and feeding the young pretty much not bothered my presence. I concentrated on the two nearest to me as it meant I didn't have to move...

Chuck out the stumpy little tails lol.
 I like the next one as it shows two things off. The big begging gape as the adult bird feeds an out of frame juvenile but in the background you can see an out of focus adult bird searching for food.
My final bird is what I'm 90% certain is a Lesser Whitethroat. But what's throwing me off a bit is the gape, it definately has everything else a Lesser Whitethroat should have like the white chest compared to rusty brown of the Common Whitethroat, dark'ish grey eye coverts and rather then fleshy coloured legs it has grey'ish legs. I kind of blew the exposure in the bright light, if you have any suggestions even if it contradicts my thoughts don't hesitate to say please...it showed well all though all too briefly




7 comments:

  1. Those Hobbies are superb. The one with the dangly leg is just old. I know the feeling. The whithroat are great but where is the moth.? That is a caterpillar., I know these things Moths have wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooop's didn't notice I missed out caterpillar in the title of the possible id. Pure incompetence on my part:-)

      Delete
    2. No worries, I knew what you meant but can't confirm the ID. You will have to wait for the Moth Maestro.

      Delete
  2. Cracking set of images Doug, love the Hobby's and the more intimate shots of the Whitethroats.... great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John the juvenile Whitethroats looked so vulnerable out in the open but surprisingly well camouflaged

      Delete
  3. i'd say 100% lesser whitethroat doug. well done. great shots all round

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it being a juvenile threw me off a little.

      Delete