Monday, 29 June 2015

SWIFT AND JUVENILE GOLDFINCHES

I was late getting out for birding today, England ladies kept me up past 2am in a gripping game. OK the football England play isn't beautiful but they're doing better then our boys, funny that! And into the semifinals something the boys ain't done for a while and I didn't see any diving/play acting....time to man up boys.
I opted to take the bike I wanted to scout a few areas for something other then bleeding Whitethroats. A mix terrain of fields, lanes and cycle paths was the route. Nowhere special.
In one field it was positively heaving with Finches and the odd Skylark. I couldn't get near the Chaffinches, the Greenfinches nor the adult Goldfinches. The juveniles were obviously not human wary as I able to creep up on them as they helped themselves to the crop



It was a decent route that at times lead straight through the middle of a wheat crop, farmer even had a sign up indicating which way to go though it felt odd and uncomfortable going through the middle rather then the sides. I've earmarked this field when the crop gets more golden for Skylarks and Yellowhammer's. Plenty of Yellowhammers too 13 birds for the size wasn't too bad.
I stopped at rough grass/meadow type field as there was a sizeable Swift flock circling it but also at the bottom of the field was an old tatty Barn Owl box, the plan was to wait.....and wait to see if anything emerged from it.
Probably my favourite Swift image of the day, hopefully you can make out the bug.




I stayed until 10:15,no Barn Owl.

12 comments:

  1. That is a great Swift image.
    What sort of fly is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, I think the fly is a dead one looking at the swift lol

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the baby Goldies Douglas, there's been quite a few turning up at my garden feeders over the last couple of weeks too.
    Cracking images of the Swifts, a shame the Barn Owl didn't show though!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see the Goldfinch juveniles looking around at the numbers it's going to be an expensive winter at the feeders, I wasn't to fussed about the Barnie the box looking at the quality/age is probably empty.

      Delete
  3. Hi Douglas yes the young birds are easier to photograph as they are not as scared of humans being that close but your flight shots of the Swifts are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame really they have to be wary of us really. I kind of like swifts, great for a flight shot addict like me

      Delete
  4. Cracking Swift images Doug and a very helpful light quality ..... I've never been happy with my own Swift images but you show that it can be done with the right skills ..... well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, tricky to keep in the viewfinder but exposure wise always +1 1/3rd, sun behind and blue skies even the thinest of clouds can ruin it, look at the last image for an example of this.

      Delete
  5. I'm somewhat in awe of your Swift images, Doug. Fabulous.

    It's not the winter at the bird feeders I'm worried about, Doug, but the here and now. I made the mistake of being honest when Mrs P. asked how much I'd spent on bird food this month - well into three figures! I've got to put the brakes on!

    Make the most of this good weather - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I've been telling my partner I get bird food for free. Three figures though!...your garden sounds busy mines a bit quiet.

      Delete
  6. You did brilliantly with the Swifts Doug, obviously you're technique for BIF is a winner, top man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, but I'd rather be trying out B.I.F with Harrier and Shorties ;-)

      Delete