Thursday, 16 July 2015

BARN OWL

Not many images this time, it was busy quartering but often with me looking/watching directly into the gorgeous evening light as it spent time hunting in the wrong fields, from a photographer's point of view at least. If I am honest they're not my best efforts must be out of practice with Barn Owl's either that or used to pointing the camera at faster moving birds seriously as I was panning I kept finding myself getting ahead of the owl...if that makes sense.

The owl seems to be getting a lot of hassle from a Kestrel that keeps trying to snatch it's catch, on one occasion the owl only just made it back into the box, for the Kestrel to almost follow it in. It even waited on the box's perch for a while until it got bored and flew off. This had an impact on where it hunted. The original birder who told me about this owl was down the bottom of the lane togging from his car and had it right over his head, swine lol.


10 comments:

  1. Cracking shots. I think it looks better for a bit of low sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were blessed with some gorgeous evening light, even the backlit shots had a gorgeous hue to them, just got to get 5 minutes to work on them in greater detail

      Delete
  2. Not a bad set of images, I suppose, considering you're out of practice and, both you and the owl, were in the wrong place!...lol!

    Only joking!...the first and last images are beauties. I guess a little more 'practice' is called for now then?... good luck...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joking aside I think locally I haven't been able to photograph a Barn Owl for about two years now, seen plenty but never close enough to photograph, I'm still trying to get to grips with exposure and not rattle of to many frames in one go, the excitement gets to me.

      Delete
  3. Itmut be a sheer pleasure to watch this bird hunt. I love the. evening light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret I've got a couple of images I'm posting tomorrow that will either make you laugh or cry, in a good way.

      Delete
  4. Not a lot wrong with these images Doug ..... great to see these birds no matter what the lighting .... I'd take these any time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I liked these ones in terms of lighting but it spent most of the time yesterday hunting behind us and we were looking into the sun. And it did something else, I am posting that tomorrow

      Delete
  5. Nice posting.......Barn Owl's are terrific even in the "wrong" place lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, the 'wrong' place will make you laugh tomorrow I hope.

      Delete