Friday, 3 July 2015

BARN OWL.....YIPEEEE!

I don't get to write to often about Barn Owl's on this blog. Definately one of my 'permanent' favourite birds other favourites come and go. The actual finder of this bird kindly told me via Twitter he'd seen one recently really frustratingly before my accident on the bike this was an area I'd cycled/explored and always thought ripe for an Owl, I mean look at this camera phone image one smallish area of a much larger hunting area

For now I'm not going into to much detail. To be fair it's a well trodden path popular with many walkers, joggers and cyclists like me. It's box which it is feeding young has two major problems firstly it sits directly above another footpath so vulnerable to disturbance though weirdly it is a very noisy and busy area, secondly I was convinced this "box" was a pheasant feeder an unconventional but deliberately converted by someone.
My favourites first

Just kidding here they are in order of the encounter.
Distant at first

Off back with a catch, looking into the late sun
Despite standing on a bridge (small hint)  I didn't even bother hiding as it kept going over the footpath right in front of me and at times other people. Which in turn meant a lot of pleasant chats to passerby's which was actually nice.  It kept coming and going though, weirdest Barn Owl encounter by far.
Definately a rat for dinner on the above image. I got talking to one couple who nicely gave my another sighting of an Owl that I will be checking out in the car. Like I mentioned it's a very popular pathway, which eventually got quieter as the evening went on, I checked my watch, sent a thank you tweet (won't mention whom in case he gets flooded with enquiries lol) it was 8pm and the sun was dipping behind the hill but was rewarded with some better chances.



The sun had dipped behind the hills by now,  being in a valley (no more clues by the way) that's always a problem so the last three suffer in image quality to be honest


I stayed on the bridge until 21:45 watching and enjoying this really showy bird it knew it was safe with a river (ok last clue) between us. It went and hunted another field so decided to go myself, I had a train to catch (lol)hopefully more to follow.

16 comments:

  1. I am not sure this comment published I'll wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one did but no other appeared Adrian

      Delete
    2. I said, what a superb evening. I'm amazed how tolerant this barn owl is.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Adrian, not sure why the comment never appeared. I think the owl has to be tolerant due to its location.

      Delete
  2. Nice find Douglas, such a beautiful bird to see...I'm sure you'll soon be back for some more fantastic images?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be going back. I went this morning but no light/wrong direction, so it's going to be an evening owl rather then a morning one

      Delete
  3. A lovely encounter Doug with some fab accompanying images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well chuffed Paul really out of practice though

      Delete
  4. WOW! What a wonderful encounter. Don't worry even with all your clues I have not a notion where you were!!! Your secret is still safe! Now these images are brilliant Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Margaret, what's worse is I've forgotten where it was :-)

      Delete
  5. Nice Barn Owl images Doug, I have like you been lucky enough to get close to a few as they pass overhead returning with their catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve it is a nice moment when you get close encounters. But of a privilege to be fair.

      Delete
  6. Classic images Doug .... its sad that we have to be so discrete with our observations but again, sadly Barn Owl Chicks change hands in some circles at £150 - £200 a bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very valid and sad point John. It's definately not an easy life for our birds

      Delete
  7. You captured the magic of a Barn Owl encounter beautifully, Doug. I can imagine that your heart was racing the whole time! Mine would be.

    Have a great weekend - - - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, it's funny what an Owl does to our hearts, I was equally pleased watching other people's reaction it recharged my soul.

      Delete