Saturday, 4 July 2015

WAGTAILS (Yellow & Grey)

Slightly frustrated after this evenings outing for the Barn Owl.
It's my fault I built up my expectations that the owl would hunt in the same area, rather then the reality that there's huge areas for it to hunt unobserved, aren't owls fun? The valley floor enables good uninterrupted views over large areas so was disappointed not to get even a glimpse.
Still I had company whilst I stared like a lunatic into empty fields, first a record shot, in my eyes a worthy image for airing. A Yellow Wagtail
An unusually early one for me. I'm certain/been told some still breed sporadically in the county but often only on migration do I stumble upon them.  I sadly couldn't get near it we were at opposite ends of the bridge. I only saw it once :-(
There's a Grey Wagtail under this particular bridge, it always reminds me of a grumpy ol' troll demanding monies for crossing it's bridge.


Maybe it was the brief Yellow Wag' straying onto it's bridge but I reckon these Mayflies were the real reason for it's boldness and excitement.
Taken as usual with the 500mm, great macro lens ;-) the Greywagtail changed position I don't like the direction of the light but still like them



 There were also loads of Goldfinches. This section is always good for them quite an sizeable flock.

8 comments:

  1. fabulous images of the wagtails and Goldfinch as well as the Mayfly. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, sadly I'm on shift until Tuesday

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers John, the Yellow Wagtail made me curious to its "where did that come from"

      Delete
  3. That Grey certainly seems to have a lot to say for itself!
    Great shots as always Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Keith if people walk over the bridge and stop it pops up behind them on a railing and starts calling, it cracks me up.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate the wagtails but the mayfly I'm envious of. I have seen plenty but have yet to see one settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was hundreds of them on both the bridge and waters edge. This year I've never seen so many critters

      Delete