Saturday, 17 October 2015

GREY WAGTAIL

It's been a bit slow for me image wise of late. Moulton Quarry has been dead as the proverbial dodo. I had been hoping Stonechats would've stayed along the Brampton railway but they haven't. I have twice caught all to brief glimpse of a Merlin, most recently today. The light was horrible today but one section of footpath that branches off the Brampton railway, up pass Merry Tom farm has been a favourite of mine, a git to cycle up but worth it so far. Skylark, Meadow Pipits and a sizeable flock of Linnet's. Seen two Kestrels hunting but today wasn't the day for flight shots, this was 1/160th sec shutter speed..it was grim.
For me the next stop on the bike is the dam of Pitsford reservoir always worth a look. A Meadow Pipit, there is still a lot of flying insects about,the white blobs in the image below lol.





10 comments:

  1. Good to see the Wagtail.
    I am not sur where all the birds have gone since the Swallows left so has everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I too have struggled to find anything of real interest since all the summer migrants have passed through. There's a few interesting birds in the hedgerows yet they're incredibly shy at the moment hopefully a few more blasts of wind from the east will produce something

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous series of shot of the Grey Wagtail Douglas and I liked the Kestrel shot also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to get stumbling across a lot more Grey Wagtails so far, hopefully they've had a good summer. I do like them myself. The Kestrel I'm hoping for better skies but it's always a pleasure to see one.

      Delete
  3. Nice shots through the gloom Douglas. It's always entertaining to stop for a few minutes and watch the antics of Wagtails as they frantically dart around catching those flies.
    Hopefully we'll get a few more sunny/bright days before you have to fit winter tyres and snow chains to the bike?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, I am grateful for Wagtails on slow days almost nailed a few flight shots if it hadn't been for the slow shutter speed.
      I'm in the shed creating snow shoes from tennis racquets as I type :-)

      Delete
  4. I love your Grey Wag images, Doug, particularly the penultimate one.

    Sorry I've not stopped by lately - had too much on my mind and had a spell away from Blogger.

    Best wishes - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I hope that you're OK.
      I love the Grey Wagtail so much. I think I got a good spot but they're so tricky and shy at times, hopefully more to come.

      Delete
  5. Another nice selection of images Doug, and lucky you seeing another Merlin!!!!! This species is deffo my bogey bird, I have been all over the UK hoping to see one and still they evade me..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I am 99.9% sure it's the same bird I've seen on three separate occasions (saw it Sunday) there's plenty of Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, starlings etc for it to hunt

      Delete