Sunday, 25 October 2015

MOULTON QUARRY 25/10/15

In quite a lot of places I cycle or even pass on the way into work (including my estate) I'm seeing similar scenes as in in the image above. Small flocks but quite a few of them scattered around I'm hoping they'll merge into one big flock and give us a decent murmaration this winter.
There was quite a lot opposite the entrance to the old quarry plus a welcoming sight in the form of this new gate.
It stops one entry point for the annoying motocross bikes and gives a subtle hint this site isn't going to be built on anytime soon (probably just cursed that).
The quarry itself was still a little quiet but better than my previous visit. Plenty of flyover Meadow Pipits and encouragingly Skylarks too. Still no Snipe in the pits but at least I did get to see the Little Owl in it's tree before having to beat a retreat thanks to the blasted corvids. Who were busy chasing everything the Kestrel, Buzzard and Black Headed Gulls got some hassle from the corvids.
At least the Kestrel put on a show before being chased off.




I heard a true sign of winter,  a Redwing. Three of them, and they were really dark too. So much so I got my hopes up and thought I found something odd but I hadn't. A record shot for now.
Plenty of Reed Bunting, Yellowhammers and Wrens in Doug's Pit.



8 comments:

  1. Glad the place is looking better. I am almost persuaded to take some avian shots but perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go for the avian shots you got some cracking birds up your way, do you get Crested Tits where you are staying

      Delete
  2. Fabulous imags of the kestrel and lovee the little wren That gate means business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be getting wren's quite a bit lately, I reckon they had a good year for breeding. The gate is a good one should stop the pesky bikers

      Delete
  3. Little Owl..... Yessss! Mr Z .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't come out of it's tree though mate.

      Delete
  4. That all sounds very promising, Doug. I particularly like youe Wren shots. There's nothing like a Wren for putting a smile on your face!!

    Best wishes - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoying people on motorbikes almost ruined the quarry, I am glad things are gradually getting better. Hopefully some interesting birds will show now.

      Delete