Monday, 5 October 2015

ODDS and SODS

A bit quiet for me this weekend. I opted on Saturday to head out on the bike up towards Quarry Walk. I hadn't visited since the summer. It was very quiet. With the odd Cetti's Warbler still being camera shy, some (say 5)Water Rail squealing away. A very odd sighting in the form of a Reed Warbler which given the time of year and vagrants turning up had me hoping for a Marsh or Blyth Reed Warbler alas it wasn't and some Chiff-Chaff too. The light was horrible and no decent images.
Sunday saw me head out on the bike but along the Brampton Valley railway line. Unsurprisingly it was very busy with other cyclists, joggers, train spotters etc. Nothing special was found but plenty of common species. This Wren delighted me with its posing.


A dodgy Long Tailed Tit.
And the Ruddy Shelduck (never made it into the original post) from Pitsford reservoir.




10 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. The Wren is a grand sight. Lots of them here, always busy and noisy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian. I've noticed a little more Wrens floating around this year, I have regularly 4 individuals in the garden and one pair breed too. Maybe it was the cooler yet quite dry Sumner that suited this little ground nester

      Delete
  2. Great shots as always Douglas, I like the 'action' shots of the Ruddy Shelduck, beautiful colours too!

    You never know, given the recent turn in the weather, the next time you're out and about you might be in for a nice surprise with something a bit more 'exotic'?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Ruddy has some stunning plumage kind of reminds me of the Lapwing in some ways.
      Hopefully the hurricane will blow something inland yet it will be those on the west coast etc that'll get something exciting. I'd be happy with a Ring Ouzel lol

      Delete
  3. Wrens are lovely and not always ready to pose for the camera. Love the images of the Ruddy duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never sit still for me either, this one was a real little poser

      Delete
  4. Great set of shots - if you have any inclination to do so, it would be great if you could join in with Wild Bird Wednesday, which runs on my photo-blog on (!) Wednesdays. Some of the commenters above are already involved.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stewart for the offer, I will give it a go next week.

      Delete
  5. Super Wren images Doug, always easy to hear but they can be little blighters when it comes to attaining decent images. Oh by the way, seven Stonechats yesterday down at HH, showing really well too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul the Wren can be annoyingly hard to get put in the open. The Stonechats are very very tempting. I'd better stock up on Red Bull lol

      Delete