Sunday, 15 November 2015

MOULTON QUARRY 15/11/2015

Well my sum total of images for the weekend is two so, so images of a Kestrel.
I could only manage a dodgy outing to the quarry today (Sunday) as Saturday was a washout. Today I wasn't much better cycling into a peak wind speed of 24 mph seemed hard going and wishing I hadn't agreed to do my birding by bike rather then car...only a month to go and the bet is over.....maybe.
There wasn't much going on at the quarry, given the poor light and wind hardly a surprise.
A few Redwing at the entrance, a mini flock of Pied Wagtail (6), a fly over Buzzard was seriously low but up against a dark grey sky meant it might as well be doing cartwheels. A single Snipe was also present. But the quarry was so quiet I didn't even locate many common species such as Dunnock...proper bad visit.
I watched the Kestrel land just above the Sandmartins colony. I wasn't happy with the angle nor the horrible bit of rubbish present so risked moving a bit closer and a slightly better angle, not easy with next to no cover of the quarry floor
Still I have some days next week off so at least I don't have too long to wait for some decent birding....weather permitting.

8 comments:

  1. You did extremely well to get that second image, Doug! Well worth while. I'd hoped to get out today, but didn't bother because of the wind. Even the garden birds were in short supply compared to normal!

    Hoping the weather is kind to you on your days off - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I was thinking of staying in but like your garden mine was also very quiet and was going stir crazy indoors. I hope the weather stays nice/improves later in the week but I heard rumours of snow!

      Delete
  2. Weather in is not good either. I think my bird class will have to have a leacture tomorrow as I think the wether will keep us in! Love your Kestrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair here in Northamptonshire we got off lucky compared to other parts of the UK I hope the weather improves for you and the bird club tomorrow

      Delete
  3. This weather is a bit depressing but it will change........hopefully for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure I heard snow by the end of the week for you in Scotland and even a light dusting in the south

      Delete
  4. Sou'wester?....check. Anchor?...check. Thermals?...check. Seems to be the order?

    Have a good week Douglas!....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, was thinking about getting a boat. You have a good week too

      Delete