Monday, 2 November 2015

ODDS and SODS

I was still hesitant about posting the first two images. But I will explain why I've opted to post it in a moment...easy explanation for all the images it was to clear space off the hard drive and couldn't bring myself to pressing 'delete'.
Some time ago I mentioned the Little Ringed Plovers on the industrial estate I work on. Also how our county recorder really didn't want it publicised as such.
And rightly so. They're a schedule one species, not every birder nor photographer has restraint coupled with no physical restrictions like fences and wardens it would be likely they'd be disturbed or worse nest trampled.
 Towards the end of the summer as these were getting ready to head home I sat myself on the bank and waited, waited a bit more, got some strange looks off passing workers and waited a bit more.....was it worth it? Probably not if I'm honest but it was one of those unique opportunities I like. I'm not really a nature reserve dweller though will go in desperate times. I like underwatched areas, new locations/habitats or areas that sane people wouldn't go looking for nature.
Also and the main reason I've posted these now rather then store/delete and the reason I risked ridicule by ignoramus passing public was I knew these artificial mudflats would be built on soon.
Alas today whilst watching some Teal, Pipits and Wagtails on the flats there was a group of men pointing stuff out, measuring etc. So I went and had a word, apparently one (they're undecided which one) of the three flats is going to be started to built on in......spring. So in terms of recording the species in a special location it was worth it and the main reason I'm posting now, otherwise they wouldn't have seen the light of day....note the bricks in the images.
The second species is a Black Tern from Welford Reservoir in the spring. I was passing through on the way back from Leicester on a really grim/dark/rainy day and thought I'd just have a quick look since I was passing. Pure crap, but was hoping to hook up with them the next day but they moved on, typical. I chased a few Autumn sightings but missed out so didn't get 'better' images
 This was the view from the dam horrid rain and low cloud.
My last offering was from a small unnamed harbour, now my boss has moved to a new firm I'll post some more  later but I pulled a sickie in the Spring annoyingly I got some cracking birds that day and images too yet couldn't post one image as my boss at the time read the blog,  especially if I was struck down by jungle fever or the like and was forced to pull a sickie lol
Sanderling flock, uncropped

8 comments:

  1. The Plovers are grand little things. What a place to decide to nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be one of the most bizarre places I've seen any wader decide to breed there could be a possible nearby location for them next year

      Delete
  2. Tow fantastic species to see Douglas and I like the flight shot of the Sanderling as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Ringed Plovers we have a few local sites for them where they breed which given how far in land we are is always a surprise sadly I seem to see less Black Terns on migration these days though. Sanderling are my favourite wader

      Delete
  3. A cracking post - your Black Tern images knock the spots off my feeble attempts! I just love that flock of Sanderling.

    How many more dark secrets are going to emerge this year, Doug?

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I sadly reckon we see less Black Terns these days which is a shame as they look stunning even in rubbish light. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw my favourite waders, there was loads of them

      Delete
  4. You did very well to have kept the LRP location a secret until now Doug. I use to know a site just down the road from me that had them too. Just like your area it was developed, but...........even though houses and industrial units sprung up all over the place the LRP still returned for the next 2 years and attempted to breed. Sadly they opted for a small single area of around 2 mts square on the edge of a car park and yes you have guessed it, the eggs were crushed each time!! I would say that depending on how advanced the development is there is a good chance they WILL be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the blog post featuring those LRP's. They haven't laid nor started to dig any foundations yet. There would still be two more mudflats for them to choose plus a couple more locations. Hopefully they'll show up and hopefully breed.

      Delete