Monday, 7 December 2015

Starling murmaration, Storton Gravel Pits

It seems there are two very sizeable Starling murmaration happening in Northamptonshire at the moment.
Titchmarsh, Summer Leys and now Storton Gravel Pits.
Not exactly huge but impressive none the less. I did reckon we'd see something here again. There was a lot of Starlings on the housing estate, industrial estate nearby and some in the fields and service station (scavenging) at Junction 15a of the M1...all very close to the reserve at its reed bed.
I got some shoddy footage of it from my mobile on my cycle back from work, The Hunt eat your heart out :-)

8 comments:

  1. There's a half decent one near me at a local lake, Willen. I Should make the effort and go. Always great watching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a good number of murmarations taking place around the UK at the moment, which has to be great news. I'd go and check them out if they're quite close by Keith they're amazing to watch

      Delete
  2. Always lovely to watch this spectacle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definately great to see Margaret I really enjoyed watching Starlings from different areas turning up and joining the flock

      Delete
  3. Not seen one yet this winter, Doug, but shall be looking out for one!

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you are going past Northampton it might be worth stopping at Summer Leys, that's a massive murmaration. Though I hope you get one in Leicester

      Delete
  4. It is years since I've seen one. There used to be a superb show at Leighton Moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I seen one too Adrian. The Leighton Moss one still happens (I think). We've been spoilt this year in Northamptonshire the biggest one is up Summer Leys and is really big and impressive.

      Delete