Sunday, 17 January 2016

WEEKEND TRAVELS

Well Saturday was forecasted to be bright but cold, unfortunately on one count the weather forecasters were correct.
It was sunny and freezing. Perfect conditions for a big cycle up to Maidwell in the hope of some Owl's and Stonechats.
The all important stats, yep knackered.

Knackered and a tad annoyed, I got bugger all images! Sure the Stonechat was there, I did not see any Owl's but I left early (got cold) plenty of Fieldfare etc in fact plenty of birds.
I had a weird camera fault. Fully charged battery but when I got to Maidwell grabbed the camera out of the bag it was really cold took two frames of the Stonechat and the battery indicator said "flat", turned it off and took the battery out and put it back in, two frames dead....crap.
I put it down to the cold a long way to cycle for no images, still I burnt some calories :-|
Woke up on Sunday to a blanket of snow, I couldn't bare another failure like the day before so stuck to togging some garden birds.
Battery didn't fail once, go figure!

 Plenty of Goldfinch in the garden regular counts of 30+ two distinct flocks too. One flock distinguished by rings on their legs as per the one below can't get close enough to make the ring details apart from "81"




8 comments:

  1. It has happened to me, I carry two batteries in old weather and keep one next to my skin in a bag and then just keep swapping them over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have to start doing that Adrian. It was bloody cold.

      Delete
  2. i alaways carry several batteries with me although it is usually not because of the cold but Adrian's idea is a good one. Lovely bird shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I'm going to invest in a new battery and a fleece lined pouch for the spare one I think

      Delete
  3. Ooooeeer!....That's weird?.... I think we must be living in a parallel universe, I too have got a mountain bike, I've seen it..it's quietly hibernating in the back of the shed! I too have recently had the exact same problem with my camera..it dies, 'indicator shows spent batteries (I use a battery grip with two batteries)..remove them, put them back the 'indicator shows a random (full, half or none!) amount of charge..take two, three or sometimes more shots and it all dies again! And when I get home and put the batteries in the charger it shows them to have plenty of charge left. I spent last Friday out with Keith at a bitterly cold and windy RSPB Frampton and the camera worked fine all day without a hitch! I'm thinking that the problem might be that the batteries are a few years old and are breaking down...they need fixing with a new set!
    Also, I spent yesterday taking photos of the bird visiting my garden, it must be something about garden birds in the snow, or maybe, I'm just too damn idle to go out into the cold?

    Super photos of the garden birds, Goldfinches seem to have done well last year, lots visiting my feeders too...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking either a parallel universe or its a case of great minds etc. Probably parallel universe seems more plausible lol.
      Personally I think it's the age of the battery I know it was cold but I've photographed in colder weather and not had that issue and even though photographing from the shed was slightly warmer it was still cold with the snow, the battery is the original when I got the camera in 2001 so I can't complain and just brought two for £20 brand new online so can't grumble really.
      Have a great week delivering stuff in your truck, that'll test the parallel theory :-)

      Delete
  4. That is a weird one with the batteries, Doug. I wouldn't have thought it was cold enough to make a significant difference - in Arctic conditions of 40° below, maybe, but not at around 0°!

    I too opted to photograph my garden birds on Sunday, and it paid off.

    Good luck - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird, probably old and knackered by now, have not had any problems since so hopefully a one off.
      Hope you got your siskin back in the garden this winter

      Delete