Sunday, 20 March 2016

I PROMISE

Honestly this will be my last post on Siskin's.
Birding this week has been limited to what I've seen whilst at/going to/coming back from work. But saying that I've seen some nice birds including Little Egret, displaying Buzzards and Golden Plover.  The fields surrounding the industrial estate are looking very tempting for any passing wader and resemble both wetlands and mini scrapes, if you squint,  thus far it's only producing wildfowl, plenty of Snipe sightings and gulls. Even counted 5 Goosander behind the brewery on the Nene. The towpath section is coming alive at dawn with Cetti's Warbler and Song Thrush being the most noticeable calls and a Chiff-Chaff.
The only place due to prior engagements for any sit down birding was courtesy of the garden.
It's a hive of activity. Plenty of Tits, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Wren, Dunnock etc.
In fact I've noted the Dunnock is already paired up and even taking individual seed back to a female and passing food.
Which brings me to the Siskin's.

All week I've been fluctuating between 4 to 6 birds visiting...think Goldfinch in terms of devouring sunflower hearts. I've heard plenty more calling from other gardens. I reckon there must be approximately 18-20 birds around.
I placed more feeders out overnight on Saturday night trimmed a few more branches as you do at night :-/

I had 8 birds (6 male 2 female) on the feeders this afternoon which provided slightly more entertainment then the Grand Prix. Though I'm excited to see Murray Walker will be involved in the new coverage and ol' Suzi has gone too. Early days but I reckon it'll be really interesting especially with the rookies and I'll reckon we'll see a stronger Ferrari once the circus hits Europe.
Anyway another Siskin

 Another Siskin.....
 Sorry but they were a bogey bird for me so here's two more in a very slightly different pose.....filled my boots. Light levels in my garden don't get much better, it was sunny!!

I've got to get another bogey bird off my list now a list which includes Merlin, Firecrest, Ring Ouzel, Hippo, Treecreeper (!)

12 comments:

  1. They are grand little birds. I have yet to see any here.
    No idea if F1 is watchable any more, a pity as I used to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the Siskin's too at the moment. I know what you mean about F1 though

      Delete
  2. Always good to see the Siskins Douglas, I'm just a bit jealous as so far this year I've only had one visit my garden (one male, yesterday).

    Watched the F1 and it looks like Ch4 are going to pretty much follow the Beeb's presenting format, although I'm annoyed by the adverts already! Couldn't help thinking that there's a joke in there somewhere too...one Welshman, one Scotsman and an Aussie....and when EJ arrives it'll be a full set! Murray Walker was the star of the show for me, made me chuckle. I reckon Alonso should ride his luck and have a punt on every lotto he can find, yeh, I know he doesn't need the money but?....one lucky chap!!

    Good luck with the bogey birds...[;o)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alonso was a lucky man, 10 years ago we'd be morning the passing of a driver in such accident. You know David Coulthard is one of the owners of the production company? At least they have promised no adverts during live races which will be good. I'll wait and see how the new format goes but I'm not happy there's no highlights in the evening or on one of the other digital channels they have.

      Delete
  3. I love Siskine and only rarely do they visit my garden so don't worry about us seeing yours. Lovely shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until this month they'd never visited my garden either. I love watching them from the conservatory, they are truly beautiful

      Delete
  4. You can watch the GP on line on Channel 4 'catch up' for the next 28 days. you do have to register though...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'll have to give it a go, cheers.

      Delete
  5. Lucky you to still have the Siskins visiting your garden, you made the best of the gloomy conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul I've really enjoyed their presence in the garden a great winter bonus

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug. Sorry to be so late in commenting on this post, but I've been away on the Scilly Isles. Just getting back into the swing of things.

    Great to see your having such good luck with the Siskins and getting some great images. Enjoy them while you can. I came back home to find that Siskin was the most numerous bird in our garden, closely followed by Redpoll. Numbers have built up quickly since then, and earlier this afternoon we had at least 13 Siskin and 25 Redpoll in our garden - a totally amazing sight, and that's just the ones I could count!! I guess that they'll be gone very soon.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious on three counts. 1)Scilly Island 2)13 Siskin 3)25 Redpoll...not fair lol

      Delete