Monday, 16 May 2016

GOT SOME BIRDING IN

I actually got some birding in this week. Most annoyingly a visit to  Welford Reservoir I was greeted to a full on Quail blatantly calling in the scrub/hedge in the carpark. I've heard plenty of Quail, seen a few fleeting sightings too. Now the hedge was adjacent to a flight of steps and couldn't be no more then 30 foot in length. Surely in such a small area I was a shoe in for a half decent shot.....we'll say no more :-(
I had three good site visits to Quarry Walk, a bonus third thanks to Rosbergs inability to race, thank you Nico.
Plenty of  warblers seen but my main focus were on the Hobbies. Counted 10 on both the Quarry/Grendon Lakes/Quarry Walk areas. Heard a male Cuckoo calling from the paintball area of Grendon Lakes. Also a Kingfisher was present quite a few times near the screen hide.

I found it hard to focus on the other species if I'm honest

One slight downside, but predictable. The Lapwing that was nesting in the field has lost it's eggs to crows. Saw three successful raids. But on one visit I did get two Grey Partridges. Couldn't get anywhere near so a 'bird in it's environment' image


8 comments:

  1. Isn't the Hobbie a beautiful bird. I never realised they had such attractive plumage.
    I never see anything but a few clips of F1 these days. It's a pity the BBC don't show motor sport anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Hobby is an underated bird in regards to plumage. It has some intricate detail.
      Sadly F1 is dying on Channel 4

      Delete
  2. Fantatic flight shot Douglas. Looks like you had a good day birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a good two days off, the sun shone and their was some interesting birds too

      Delete
  3. Keep trying for those Quail Douglas..you never know you just might get lucky?...lol!
    Super shots of the Hobby...they must be pretty big around your area?...the only ones I've seen are small black dots in the viewfinder! Good to see the Grey Partridge too.
    Yep, I'm rapidly loosing interest in F1...they all seem to be getting further and further up their own backsides!...Mrs. Wolff brightens up the C4 proceedings a little though!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor. Mrs.Wollf and Alan Post with Murray Walker was quite good but that young bloke really does my head can't for the life of me think what made them choose him, Alan Carr would've been better, no highlights only when they've got a live race. The racing has been poor but at least Max liven things up a bit.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful shots of the Hobby, Doug. I haven't seen a Grey Partridge for a few years now, when up until around five years ago I could rely on seeing them on my local patch. Makes me wonder if the guy with shooting rights has put an end to them there.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not only really pleased to see the Grey Partridge but really excited weirdly. Watched them for ages just in case there were more lurking. I reckon these might be newly released, there is a big shoot nearby

      Delete