Saturday, 7 May 2016

THIS AND THAT.

My luck getting out birding has still been very, very limited. Again despite actually getting about with the camera I've either found distant birds or actually nothing at all to point my lens at.
I did get a text from Mr.Z (I'll sort a link to his new blog soon) about Quarry Walk and his Warbler day. You can read more by clicking on HERE
So last weekend ventured down to the site.
I was initially disappointed too see the thick brambles that played host to the Lesser Whitethroat has been removed, exactly where it had nested forcing it closer to the main road and thinner brambles and the added dangers of the local tabby....good luck.
There is at least one Lapwing nesting in the adjacent field/set aside. Another instant bonus on the boardwalk section was at least 4 very noisy Sedge Warbler, previous years has seen none. Saw two Hobbies, plenty of Willow Warbler and Common Whitethroat too. Heard but did not see the Cuckoo.
Got a distant Marsh Harrier on private land, it could be just passing through but did show some interesting behaviour. Vigorously defending one are from Buzzards, Crows and even a Red Kite. After defending this one area it kept circling this one area before heading towards Summer Leys
Whilst hoping for the Harrier and Hobbies to come close I found one Grasshopper Warbler and heard another, sadly all I got was a out of focus flight shot which I was gutted about because had it been it would've (should've) be a cracker...
However the other obvious bird there was plenty of was the ever elusive and skullky yet very shouty Cettis Warbler. This was the best I got though, arguably the best image I've got in the last two weeks, hey-ho.
The only other bird of note was from the previous weekend, shooting into the sun at Summer Leys myself and John & Kirsty Philpot were for a change wishing for cloud cover to photograph a pair of Whimbrel


Still plenty of good birds were seen including a Spotted Redshank in full black plumage never came close sticking on one of the biggest islands.

14 comments:

  1. Getting out is the main thing. I never see the variety of birds that you do. Not even a Yellow Hammer here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% agree Adrian getting out and about in the fresh air is the main thing. The actual species finding has been good it's the photo side of things letting down the side

      Delete
  2. That's a good catch of the Cetti's Doug. A nightmare to see, let alone get a picture.
    I saw those Whimbrel too. Very showy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Whimbrel were very showy just in the wrong place lol, great to see them though. Really lucky at Quarry Walk the cetti's are very showy at the moment. They even flit past you

      Delete
  3. Great shot of the Warbler Douglas. Have a lovey weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, hoping you're having a nice weekend too

      Delete
  4. Well done with the Cetts -I've never been near to an in focus shot of one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shot of the Cetti's - never got one in focus yet ever!! Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin/Mr.Z once I've figured out how to add the new blog address to my blog reading list I'll add it. Couldn't believe the cetti's came almost out into the open like, well lucky :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the Cetti's,not an easy bird to nail
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we seem to have more than normal locally at the moment

      Delete
  7. Great selection of birds, Doug. I've only ever seen a 'possible' Cettis!

    I know what you mean about not getting out enough. I'm currently trying to push myself to improve on the 'once a week' I've been managing for the past couple of months. It's not just the birds - I need the fresh air and exercise!

    Best wishes to you - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting out and enjoying your time with nature is the prime objective Doug, getting a few images as a reminder of the day is just a bonus.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul and Richard you're both spot on, images are just a distraction like, I think the fresh air and birds are just a perfect relaxation after a busy week

      Delete