Monday, 20 June 2016

BARN OWL, KINGFISHER & PIED WAGTAIL

I had a few issues with the last post which I decided to delete as I was on my way to Jersey.
Thanks to Richard Pegler for pointing out that they looked a bit washed out, which they were. PLEASE if you spot something or wish to recommend an idea etc please feel free. I don't get offended, after all I'm not a professional so welcome genuine feedback.
Intially I thought it was the fact I for the first time I put the images onto my smartphone then whilst waiting at the port done the post via  my phone.
However all the images I took since look washed out! I then looked deeper. I lent my laptop out to a friend to edit images. My screen settings had been adjusted and the colour profile on the RAW developing programme had been changed. I also looked at my sensor as that had been cleaned recently but the sensor looked fine.
Hopefully the issue has been resolved but I'm not convinced it didn't help that the only images I've taken so far have been of a pair local Barn Owls in less than favourable light. I'm not happy with the tweaks I've done with 2 of the offending images (any better?)

It's a shame the Barn Owl never came close but at least this year there is two Owls in attendance as last year there was only one feeding young, should be interesting hopefully. Better light would be nice and despite texts from Mr.Z and Stuart Mundy I have to say it's still using the original nest box not the old building.
This one coming over the disused railway gives an idea how dark it was getting.
This is the best of a bad bunch.

 I like the pose on this one, luckily the people who stopped to watch didn't see where it flew to its nest, not that they posed a threat. The assembled group were delighted to see it as was I.

9 comments:

  1. Good to see you back with some good shots. These look fine though I never saw the others to compare them with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, the original post the images were terrible, last time I uploaded via my phone as the screen makes them look better than they were

      Delete
  2. I would be pleased with these images. Glad the Kingfisher posed for you but my favourite shot is the 2nd one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret I'm happy'ish with the Barnies a little room for improvement but strangely the juvenile Pied Wagtail I enjoyed too, very cute

      Delete
  3. First two still 'washed out' Douglas.
    Good to hear that the Barn Owls are doing well, you got some nice images even if they are inconsiderate and insist on coming out in the dark...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, I think with the first two images I need to go back to the originals rather than tweaking the processed ones, I was looking into the sun on both which hasn't helped. Blooming Barnies never consider us toggers which is never good :-) hope you enjoyed the slightly dramatic end to Le Mans poor old Toyota

      Delete
  4. Yeh, I always enjoy Le Mans. Gotta feel for that poor crew who've worked their nuts off for the last couple of weeks only to have it all turn to tits in sight of the winning post. It's fascinating to see how the drivers stay alert and cope with the massive speed differentials between the classes...proper racing, none of this '5 minute sprint' malarkey!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into the lives of these beautiful looking creatures, I loved these photos and I treasure this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only just got back to this, Doug, as I've been away in Scotland.

    All looks great now, with the exception of the second image.

    Super images of the Barn Owl. It's great that they show something of the environment. It's all too easy to get carried away with trying to get the ultimate close-up portrait shot and miss the bigger picture which tells a better story.

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete