Wednesday, 29 June 2016

WELFORD & BRAMPTON VALLEY

With some time on my hands I've been out and about regardless of weather,which has been lousy and un-summer like.
My little stretch of the Brampton Valley has been quite productive bird wise including a breeding pair of Yellow Wagtails which apparently is the only reported pair in the county (so far) ! That should be sad news but I'm staying positive and just hoping others haven't got round to reporting any others (I hope),  as yet I've struggled to get any images that are worth publishing.
Though I've managed some of a Grey Wagtail in it's usual spot.

 Of course the Barn Owl has been active and surprising unsuspecting joggers/cyclists/walkers as it crosses their path. Which in itself is quite interesting to see other people reactions.
Alas it's always been overcast on my visits so tampered with the WB in the field, not 100% with the results, what do you think?
The first one in glorious sunlight
 These two on really overcast and late in the evening

My favourite part of the day in the valley has to be just as the sun rises over the hill and everything starts singing.
Everything from Skylarks, Warblers, Yellowhammers, Song Thrush and more common species.
I got lucky with one Blackcap that hang about to do a spot of busking.

And plenty of Robin juveniles, this one was sunbathing.
And I'll probably get this one on the same gate when it's older lol
A couple of visits to Welford has produced the Osprey but either too far away or lousy skies. It hasn't hung around either always only stopping for 10 minutes or so.
I've also had a solitary Oystercatcher and three Common Sandpipers, normally I can find both Spotted Flycatcher and Yellow Wagtails here but found neither, just a Treecreeper and Kingfisher were the other highlights....poor picture of an Osprey

10 comments:

  1. Douglas I never tire of your images. I can't work out why I can never get good ones. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, nowt wrong with your images, plus you're always trying something new unlike myself

      Delete
  2. Fantstic imaages of the Blackcap and Robin Douglas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Margaret, especially with the Blackcap I normally struggle to get near them and too watch one at close quarters was a bonus

      Delete
  3. Excellent set of images Douglas, despite the elements being against you!
    Good news on the Yellow Wags, and hopefully, more out there doing their thing?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope there's more Yellow Wags breeding elsewhere. Normally Welford is quite good but nothing up there sadly

      Delete
  4. Super images again, Doug. You've managed to sort the white-balance nicely, considering the weather! I can almost hear that Blackcap from here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard that Blackcap was a delight. You did right about Twitter/dodgy bloke, I plastered it over Twitter anyway. Definately keep a watching brief on this fella it was serious enough to have the police call at his house, all I can really say at the moment.
      I hope you had a great time in Scotland

      Delete
    2. That bloke - I don't know what it was that you saw in his car but, given the timing, I'd guess that he was after nestlings rather than eggs.

      Delete
    3. Definately after nestlings, given his location Little Owls too

      Delete