Wednesday, 6 July 2016

EMERGING WHITETHROAT'S

It was quiet on the disused railway line last night. No Barn Owl activity but I was expecting that after the signs pointed to the owls fledging, though I have some doubts they have fledged as I've read Eleanor and Neil's blog of Barn Owl ringing just up the road and their owls don't look ready to leave the nest. Mind you this pair nested a bit earlier so I'm hoping they were successful. I found by accident another Barnie site too but have that under observations only at the moment as it's on private land and didn't fancy drawing attention to the Barn by photographing from the verge of a busy road...more at a later time.
There was however plenty of juvenile warblers on the railway line though. Mostly Whitethroats but also Sedge Warbler, Swallows and Bullfinch. Couldn't locate the Lesser Whitethroat's just silence where the nest was, missed them obviously.
I did get from one nest site an adult Whitethroat tempting the young out of the nest.
These two images of the adult at the nest
One by one it would drop down to the nest and take them/tempt them up to the nearby tree canopy
I did catch one of the young (saw four in total) half way out before walking on.

8 comments:

  1. They are beautiful and much more interesting than television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I agree with Adrian. lovely shots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear you are finding new Barn Owl sites Doug, especially if they are holding breeding pairs! Nice Whitethroat images too buddy.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, sadly the latest site isn't a pair and just a single bird but great none the less

      Delete
  4. You're doing far better with owls than I am, Doug. The news from the areas I cover is still not good, although there is some indication that things may not be quite as bad as I had thought.

    Super images of the Whitethroats. They are a delight to watch (and hear!).

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard,
      Glad to hear that the Owl's aren't as bad as you'd expected. Hopefully it's just a temporary blip.

      Delete