Friday, 15 July 2016

URBAN OWL

Or should that be 'urbarn' owl;-)...I'll get to that later. But first the Brampton Valley barnie.
It appears my assumption the young have fledged might have been premature (as I was thinking) as the owl is back taking food to the box and is in full hunt mode.
Last night was no different the only difference was the number of people on the bridge closest to the train station watching.
It was actually quite enlightening to hear what people were saying. I think the best was a dad to his teenage daughter (yes she had her phone out videoing it) "we were truly honoured to see that" the daughter "can't believe how close it came"....not close enough in my opinion. Being the only obvious birder there you can guess who was being asked the questions, I don't mind in fact I quite enjoyed it and watching other people's reaction to the owl.
The other surprise and I almost missed it was this record shot of a cuckoo, juvenile or morph coloured adult not sure to be fair. Either late migrating adult or perhaps early migrating juvenile
Sadly woefully underexposed due to owl quartering at the time, I wasn't so impressed with the self appointed 'expert' saying "he's photographing a pigeon"....Can't win them all I guess lol.
So my next site doesn't produce regular views of the owl. It's a single bird so doesn't have to hunt with the same frequency as breeding birds.
It's one that faces a bleak future. It does have a barn to live in. The owner this year put a shelve/tray like box in the Barn (ok?). But sadly as Northampton increases in size the habitat around it is getting smaller and by all accounts the land the Barn sits on is under threat if development too. Check the background out on the next image
Not it's barn but one it perches on


7 comments:

  1. It is good to see them so close to humans. The closest they get to me is a field away. the odd thing is that if I'm out on the quad bike I can get much closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that odd Adrian. I know (including my girlfriend) plenty of horse riders who tell me they trot past all sorts of species. I used to use my car to photograph from as I'd be able to get closer than on foot. There's a theory that on horse/bike/quad/car the bird initially doesn't recognise you as a human or the 'human form' as such.

      Delete
    2. Could be sounds plausible. I used to dive and in the temperate waters round the UK fish were afraid but in the tropics they were curious and used to mob divers.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant pictures, just a shame we are taking more and more of their habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame we seem to loose more habitat in this region. Mind you this particular industrial estate is a bit different with some interesting habitats and birds which makes for an interesting model on how we concrete things over, for example I've seen waders, kingfishers and a small colony of swifts.

      Delete
  3. You're doing far better on the Barnie front than I am, Doug, with some super images. I guess it's time I did a few more dusk patrols! I seem to have got out of the habit lately.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a perfect case of role reversal as I've only just got into the habit of dusk patrols lol

      Delete