Monday, 1 August 2016

SPOTTED FLYCATCHER, WELFORD RESERVOIR

It really bugs me when a firm favourite species of mine and once "two a penny" in Northamptonshire is becoming increasingly harder and harder to find.  These days the Spotted Flycatcher is such a bird.
To get a photo even trickier, mind you if you're prepared to sit and wait and resist the temptation to chase from high perch to high perch they can become very confiding. The tricky bit is finding one with good enough light under the dense tree canopy.
A visit to Welford Reservoir on Saturday yielded the usual Terns, Geese(yay), Kingfisher and 2 Common Sandpipers.
I found 3 Spotted Flycatchers (2 adults and 1 juvenile) there was at least 1 more but wasn't breaking cover.
I heard them first and opted to use the broken branches of an oak as both cover/impromptu tripod/bench :-)
At first distant
But each time it came down it got closer
With plenty of broken branches on the ground there was lots of perches for the Spotted Flycatcher to grab at passing insects

No chasing nor baiting just patience and was rewarded with some really great close up views and most importantly no neck straining

Had to do with portraits due to light which was OK but blocked by welcoming foliage. I like the last one it looks bemused



8 comments:

  1. A cracking set of images Douglas, your fieldcraft and patience definitely paid off....[:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, my field craft is the envy of many lol. Sit and patiently wait sums it up.

      Delete
  2. So this is your secret. I will have to try it as dhots like this prove it is worthwhile.
    An excellent days work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only style I know, lazy birding :-)

      Delete
  3. A cracking set of images, Doug. I'm very envious! I'm a great believer in sitting and waiting. Many of my best shots have been obtained that way!

    Hoping your week is going well, in spite of the windy weather - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, really like the sitting still method, though passing dogs do give me a somewhat strange look before scurrying off :-)

      Delete